• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sewerman01

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

We live in the state of Florida. My son had an accident and he was at fault. We had an insurance lapse 2 weeks before the accident. I lost my debit card, had it replaced and the insurance company couldn’t bill. I was irresponsible by not opening the mail to see that they were cancelling the policy for nonpayment. My son took the car and he didn't know about the insurance lapse. He hit another car and the owner happened to be a lawyer. He gave him the insurance information because he didn't know it was cancelled at the time. Police were not called and no report was made. My son said the damage was a dent to the side of his car and there was no damage to my car. The lawyer is threatening to file a suit unless we pay $2000.00. At first, over the phone, he said the estimated damages were about 800.00 to 1000.00. Then, in an email he said estimates were for around $1200.00. He wants the extra money because my son did not return a phone message to him. I asked him to send me a bill so I can see the actual damages or any estimates and he said that he has not yet had the damage fixed because he wants to also have it painted. He wants $2000.00 and is threatening that if we don't pay he will file suit against my son (21 yrs old) and make him pay at least 3 times as much. The say's that this is a fight that he will win and it will cost us a lot more than just giving him the $2000.00 now. He threatened that he will have his license taken for up to 20 years until he pays the judgment. This is all in e-mails. The car is owned by me and registered by me (I'm not sure that the lawyer realized this) My husband recently, passed away suddenly and I now support the household by myself with my 2 oldest attending community college, so I really don't have an extra $2000 for this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Would the other driver be required to used uninsured motorist coverage if he has it?

ecmst12

He is full of it. He can't collect more then actual damages for a property damage claim. Tell him to show you the estimate and you will write him a check for that amount - AFTER he signs a release from further liability.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">