• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Vandalism on Vehicle

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pastlife209

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California is my state of residence.

Here is my story:
Today I went to Public Storage to pay my bill. In the parking lot a woman in a large SUV parked very sloppy next to me while I was leaving and while getting out she hit my door with hers, gave me a dirty look, and even took the time to push against the car excessively. I have various anger issues and I'm not the smartest person. I was enraged and as soon as she went into the office I leaned out the window and scratched her car with a knife... STUPID! RIGHT, I KNOW, I WASN'T thinking straight and let rage get the better of me and I know I deserve to pay for it.... Anyways, she didn't see me do it or even see me drive away. After, my conscience told me to return to the crime scene an apologize. She wasn't there. So I went into the office and explained that MY car was keyed and if their cameras are on record or if I can get the persons information.. Of course I was lying to get information. The clerk also said they do not record, and he would not disclose information to me. On top of that fact, my car was parked outside of the camera's view. Here are my questions; If she were to make a police report, would they(the police) be able to get contact information on the customer before her(me)? And if she decided to prosecute, would the police be able to come to my house and arrest me for this crime? Would I just be served papers and have to show up to court and pay fines? what would be the consequences? Jail time? house arrest? how much do you think I'd have to pay for a 3-5 inch scratch on a car door that is moderately deep. (worse than a key scratch) I used a tip of a knife. I feel horrible and I wish I could find this woman and work something out with her payment wise.. I just had a daughter and I don't want to go to jail. The thing is that if she did prosecute and the police did get my contact info and came to question me, the cameras don't record and if they did it couldn't see, so what proof does she have that it happened there at that public storage? would I be able to defend myself on the statement that it could have happened anywhere, or could have been a person walking by, since it isn't in a very good neighborhood and she was driving a really nice car that would stand out, being susceptible to a hate crime such as a financially jealous passer-by..

Some one please help me with this..

Last edited:

CdwJava

Here are my questions; If she were to make a police report, would they(the police) be able to get contact information on the customer before her(me)?
That depends on whether that information is even available to be found. If no one recorded license plate numbers or IDs, how would they find out who you were?

And if she decided to prosecute, would the police be able to come to my house and arrest me for this crime? Would I just be served papers and have to show up to court and pay fines? what would be the consequences? Jail time? house arrest? how much do you think I'd have to pay for a 3-5 inch scratch on a car door that is moderately deep.
You would either be sent a summons or arrested on an arrest warrant for a misdemeanor. Restitution could be nearly $1,000, fines could be up to $1,000 (before assessment and fees) and jail time is possible for up to 6 months (though not likely).

so what proof does she have that it happened there at that public storage?
We couldn't possibly know. Maybe someone saw you ... maybe they didn't ... maybe the sustem DOES record and they just did not admit it to you? Bottom line, no one knows what kind of evidence they might have - if any.

justalayman

first rule of security systems: do not tell people you have one or if they know you have one, it's capabilities.

They may have 27 cameras you didn't see and are recording every one. They have no obligation to tell anybody such info without a court order in hand.

It would be reasonable to believe they had record of the license plates of vehicles entering and exiting the premises.

What could happen? Too many unknowns to really say. It could be anything from jail to absolutely nothing and it all depends on facts not known.

All you can do is wait.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">