• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

why is this happening?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mike2624541

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

i was involved in an incident two days ago were a friend was drunk and picked up one of my firearm pulled the slide back which chambered a round and started pointing it at my wall. i told him first to put down the gun and his response was inaudible i then grabbed the gun by the barrel and started to pull the gun away from anyone in case of discharge. it discharged in my hand causing a flesh wound. i was in shock but still managed to locate the bullet and also insure that nobody but myself was harmed. the friend of mine who discharged the gun also had a female companion with him who was incessantly yelling while all this was occurring. i had a different friend who was at my home who had not been drinking drive me to the hospital. on the way there I contacted my local police department and stated that i had accidentally discharged my gun while i was in the process of cleaning it. i didn't know what to say and i didn't want this friend to go to jail. while i was at the hospital the police srounded my house and consistently banged on the door and rang the phone until my younger brother "who is also a resident" woke from sleep to find guns drawn on him and the police entered the home. they searched my house and questioned all the people in it, then left the home. finding no reason to stay. the police then came back to the house and arrested the woman who was 16 and a runawy who had lied about her age to everyone including the police.
Today i was just waking up to return to work for the first time since the incedent,"even though i'm still in alot of pain from the wound" to find a task force of officers at my door banging and yelling "search warrant open up or we wil break it down!" i opened my window and told them i am going to put my dog away and open the door. when i opened the door the had guns drawn and put my on the ground handcuffed me. my younger brother and father were in the home as well. they went into my room and confiscated all my guns 1 rife 2 handguns and 1 shotgun. also they took my laptop cellphone and voice recorder. i don't understand why they took all of these things. after about an hour they told me i was the victim of a shooting and no charges are being filed. i feel violated and scared. can i have an opinion please?:mad:

justalayman

they obviously do not believe your story and are apparently looking for evidence of the shooter.

If I were you, I would not grant any interviews with the police without first speaking with an attorney. You did in fact file a false police report so you might be charged as well as the actual shooter.

Kiawah

Well for starters, you've been involved in a shooting, you've gotten caught in a lie, underage drinking in the house (and around firearms), and an underage runaway caught who had also lied. Probably looking for other firearms violations. Doesn't appear you've established much credibility with the police.

mike2624541

i appreciate the feedback. but i need to clarify a little more. the man was drinking the girl had not been. is there any kind of defence for me regardless of my lie.. passably the fact that i was in shock? and why did they take all my guns and not just the one that was involved? why my laptop? and the man who was drunk was of legal drinking age. the minor in my home was a shock to me as to all who where there. she had a fake I.D. and tattoos which lead me to believe she was 18 yrs old.

Last edited:

justalayman

sounds like you are going to have to wait to find out but I know in my state, if there is an incident with any weapon in a home, they do confiscate all weapons from the home.

the computer; maybe looking for chat messages where you talked about it with people. Maybe there is something with the 16 yo girl you need to be concerned about. There really is no way for anybody here to know. We weren't there.

The Occultist

Woah woah woah woah. I am very much confused here. The OP stated that he was told no charges were being filed, but he is also asking about a defense? :confused:

justalayman

Woah woah woah woah. I am very much confused here. The OP stated that he was told no charges were being filed, but he is also asking about a defense? :confused:
I didn't see where the OP was concerned about charges on themselves. I suggested there might be and due to that should not speak with the police without first speaking with an attorney.

He simply repeated that the cop stated no charges were being filed.

Well, if that were true in total, there would be no reason to confiscate anything. The fact the guns and computer and other items were confiscated does lead one to believe charges are possible on somebody. OP should act accordingly.

mike2624541

that is what i was fearing that because of the fact that my propriety has been taken that charges may be pending. i'm seriously worried about why they decided to take all my firearms instead of just the one that was accidentally discharged. another question. is obstruction of justice enough of a reason for a search warrant to be issued? mind you that the police were in my home on the date of the incident and also conducted a search then as well. and they told me the warrant was issued do to obstruction. i thought that this was a mister meaner offense. dose anyone know how i can located a good attorney in Wisconsin that wont charge for consultation?

Last edited:

Kiawah

i thought that this was a mister meaner offense. dose anyone know
<= Hate to wake up to that previous statement, without coffee.

You need to find an attorney, who is knowledgeable on federal and WI state firearms laws. There are huge law differences between the states. Some of the areas I'd suggest you investigate and understand:
- Ownership and registration. Were the guns properly purchased, and properly registered to you, as per federal and state laws?
- Are you allowed to own the guns?
- Have any of the guns been reported stolen, or suspected of recent local firearms crimes/events?
- Have any of the guns been illegally modified? If any have alterations (e.g a silencer), was the proper registrion and tax stamps done and are you legal to have it in your possession?
- Are the guns legal for your state? (Some states have specific restrictive laws, dealing with maximum capacity of semi-auto magazines, or trigger locks, etc).
- Are you legally allowed to own guns. Were any of the people at your gathering restricted from access to guns (e.g. was anyone a felon).
- Does your state have laws regarding storage or handling, when liquor is available?
- Does your state have laws regarding storage or handling, when minors could get access?
- Based upon the activities that occurred with the gun, which CCW (concealed carry), or OC (open carry) laws are involved? Are you licensed for CCW?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">