• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

recieved call from detective today...HELP!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

babymadyson

NEW YORK- I was contacted by a local detective today and asked to come in for questioning in regards to shoplifting accusation from October 2010 in a Home Goods Store. I have priors for shoplifting but completed prgm to lessen charges so I do have a history. However, I did go into a Home Goods in October to return items w/o reciept and got items that I did want to decorate my daughters room with. I am scared to go and want to know what my best option is here? What if I refuse the questioning? Can they do anything? I am a single mom with a 3 year old and in Nursing School so I need to do what is best for us both here...PLEASE HELP!!!! Thanks...Can this just be a questioning as to why I returned w/o a reciept? Sooooooo Scared :confused:

Kiawah

I guess you'd be scared, if there was a reason to be scared.

With the computer systems and security cameras available now a days, they might know that the product you returned was never actually sold (particularly if a low sales volume item). They might have gone back and looked at the camera's, and found when it was taken.

If you actually did buy the item, you have a defense in that your charge card statements can be tied to their systems' register purchase logs, and it could be proved that you did (or didn't) buy the product. Of course if you claim a cash purchase, then you would have no proof on side, but they would know when their products were sold.

I suspect if they have a detective involved, it's already gone beyond the point of initial questioning about returning something without a receipt.

Last edited:

dave33

Be careful. It would seem the detective needs more evidence to formally charge you. I strongly suspect he is hoping to get you to incriminate yourself. I would make no statement.gdlck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">