• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pothole on Hwy caused me $1400 worth of damage!!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

While towing my boat on Hwy 4 in CA last weekend, I hit a huge pothole that blew out 2 of my trailers leaf springs and also caused brake line and tire damage.

Total cost to me is about $1400 in repairs, towing and new tires.

Can I get money back from the state or sue them????

How would I even go about trying to find out?

---Mike

ecmst12

Read what you wrote again very carefully. YOU HIT a pothole. You ran your moving vehicle over a non-moving road hazard. You are 100% at fault and have no one to blame but yourself.

Mass_Shyster

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

While towing my boat on Hwy 4 in CA last weekend, I hit a huge pothole that blew out 2 of my trailers leaf springs and also caused brake line and tire damage.

Total cost to me is about $1400 in repairs, towing and new tires.

Can I get money back from the state or sue them????

How would I even go about trying to find out?

---Mike
Check out

Let me google that for you

Read what you wrote again very carefully. YOU HIT a pothole. You ran your moving vehicle over a non-moving road hazard. You are 100% at fault and have no one to blame but yourself.
Thanks for being so helpful! Also looks like your dead wrong...you must have made a great auto adjuster..... you might want to read what your writing..

And it also appears that others have sued over this and have won..

These people won 3.8M..
http://gothamist.com/2010/10/12/city_paid_38m_in_5_years_to_settle.php

Last edited:

justalayman

Thanks for being so helpful! Also looks like your dead wrong...you must have made a great auto adjuster..... you might want to read what your writing..

And it also appears that others have sued over this and have won..

These people won 3.8M..
City Paid $3.8M in 5 Years to Settle Cyclists' Pothole Injuries - Gothamist

several things you need to realize. First, what you cited is in NY, not California. While some of it is relate-able, not all is.

Then:
Because the pothole had been reported to the DOT but not fixed within 15 days, the city was liable.
so, was your pothole reported to the proper authorities prior to you hitting it? How long was the pothole there?

and did you see the pothole in the link you posted? Was yours anything like that?

While it isn't impossible to win in such a suit, it is not as simple as: you hit it, they are liable. You have to prove negligence on their part to win. You have to prove they were aware of the hole and failed to repair it within a reasonable (or legally stated) time frame. They are not expected nor required to walk the roads every day to make sure there isn't a hole developing.

JustAPal00

several things you need to realize. First, what you cited is in NY, not California. While some of it is relate-able, not all is.

Then:
.so, was your pothole reported to the proper authorities prior to you hitting it? How long was the pothole there?

and did you see the pothole in the link you posted? Was yours anything like that?

While it isn't impossible to win in such a suit, it is not as simple as: you hit it, they are liable. You have to prove negligence on their part to win. You have to prove they were aware of the hole and failed to repair it within a reasonable (or legally stated) time frame. They are not expected nor required to walk the roads every day to make sure there isn't a hole developing.
If you hit a pot hole the size of the one in the photo, you deserve nothing. In fact they shouldn't let you ride a bike anymore.

ecmst12

No kidding, especially if he was towing a boat, you'd think he would have been extra careful to watch where he was going.

Jnzy111

No kidding, especially if he was towing a boat, you'd think he would have been extra careful to watch where he was going.
Way out of context...
Sounds like you have never towed a trailer before..maybe they should take away your man license..
Changing lanes at the last second in traffic with 50' of vehicle isn't exactly the easiest thing to do..

Last edited:

JustAPal00

Way out of context...
Sounds like you have never towed a trailer before..maybe they should take away your man license..
Changing lanes at the last second in traffic with 50' of vehicle isn't exactly the easiest thing to do..
The point is, in some states you can get compensation only if they are aware that the hole exists and have not repaired it. Being the "liberal mecca" that California is, I wouldn't be surprised if they will buy you a new car for your trouble. Contact your DOT and ask if the hole has been reported and if so when. If it's been a while then contact a lawyer.

Country Living

Way out of context...
Sounds like you have never towed a trailer before...
Do it all the time. There is such a thing as "too fast for conditions". I can see a pothole in plenty of time to stop or swerve - conditions permitting.
Way out of context...

You can when you're driving the approprate speed for your vehicle, the trailer you're towing, the weather, traffic, and road conditions.

..maybe they should take away your man license..
Think before you type.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">