• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce case Dismissed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ranee

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OR
I have been going through a divorce for the past year in a half. The husband filed for divorce and I have done all the leg work to get this divorce settled. He has done nothing (submitted nothing to the courts in regards to income, retirement, tax stuff, bank stuff, etc) and has not exercised his parental rights (court ordered supervised visits) nor has he paid anything in the way of child support (other than what I have garnished from his unemployment). The case was ruled on in Oct. and his attorney was chartered with drafting and submitting the judgement papers to the court. They have not done so yet and I just received a letter from the court that states that the case will be dismissed at the end of Dec if they do not receive anything. He has nothing to gain in this divorce and I fear that he will not file anything and let it get dismissed. He filed in a county that the children and I do not reside in, can I be proactive and file in our County before the case gets dismissed? He is currently living in CA, can he file in CA and force me to go through procedings down there? I can not afford to pay for another divorce for the same marriage. What are my options?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OR
I have been going through a divorce for the past year in a half. The husband filed for divorce and I have done all the leg work to get this divorce settled. He has done nothing (submitted nothing to the courts in regards to income, retirement, tax stuff, bank stuff, etc) and has not exercised his parental rights (court ordered supervised visits) nor has he paid anything in the way of child support (other than what I have garnished from his unemployment). The case was ruled on in Oct. and his attorney was chartered with drafting and submitting the judgement papers to the court. They have not done so yet and I just received a letter from the court that states that the case will be dismissed at the end of Dec if they do not receive anything. He has nothing to gain in this divorce and I fear that he will not file anything and let it get dismissed. He filed in a county that the children and I do not reside in, can I be proactive and file in our County before the case gets dismissed? He is currently living in CA, can he file in CA and force me to go through procedings down there? I can not afford to pay for another divorce for the same marriage. What are my options?
Have your attorney write up the paperwork and submit it the court instead. If his attorney is not going to do it then there is no reason why your attorney can't do it.

I suspect that his attorney has not been paid in full. That is generally the reason why something like that doesn't get done promptly.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">