• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex and his attorney keep getting final hearing date moved

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arkansas

Ex filed initial papers in February 2009. We've had FIVE final hearing dates that have been placed under continuance for various reasons - 3 of which from the ex's attorney's wanting that extended time frame because they consider this a "trial".

Next hearing is set for Dec. 13th. However, today I get a call from ex saying he spoke to his lawyer today (on Saturday, really?) and if I would be okay with everything being put off until January 2011.

Yeah, I said a big NO.

First reason was because holidays were coming up. Second reason was because he had so much issues going on. After my third NO, he told me "thanks for putting a f***ing damper on the holidays" and hung up on me.

Is there any any ANY way I (my lawyer) can make sure this hearing does NOT get placed in continuance again?

I have 2 suspicions. 1) Ex hasn't paid his lawyer or 2) Ex is in trouble for something.

(Yes, I do have a lawyer, I meet with him Monday, but I am sick to my stomach thinking this could be continued again and just really want reassurance, if any...)

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arkansas

Ex filed initial papers in February 2009. We've had FIVE final hearing dates that have been placed under continuance for various reasons - 3 of which from the ex's attorney's wanting that extended time frame because they consider this a "trial".

Next hearing is set for Dec. 13th. However, today I get a call from ex saying he spoke to his lawyer today (on Saturday, really?) and if I would be okay with everything being put off until January 2011.

Yeah, I said a big NO.

First reason was because holidays were coming up. Second reason was because he had so much issues going on. After my third NO, he told me "thanks for putting a f***ing damper on the holidays" and hung up on me.

Is there any any ANY way I (my lawyer) can make sure this hearing does NOT get placed in continuance again?

I have 2 suspicions. 1) Ex hasn't paid his lawyer or 2) Ex is in trouble for something.

(Yes, I do have a lawyer, I meet with him Monday, but I am sick to my stomach thinking this could be continued again and just really want reassurance, if any...)
Unfortunately we cannot give you any reassurance. I would think that after 5 continuances if your attorney were to object vigorously, that the judge would not allow another one, but there is no way that we can promise that the judge won't.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">