• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Spouse not recognizing Debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sparks88

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

I borrowed money from a family member for the down payment on a home after we were married. I have a loan document stating the terms of the loan that I signed, my wife did not sign. We are divorcing and my wife now claims she did not know about the loan and is not responsible for half of it. Does it matter whether she knew about it or not?

mistoffolees

You have a loan document with only your signature, so you are solely responsible - as far as the creditor is concerned.

However, the debt might count as marital debt. If it does, you can ask for the divorce judge to order your ex to pay half. Whether they would do so or not depends on a lot of other factors - including things like 'who is keeping the home?'.

sparks88

Sold

You have a loan document with only your signature, so you are solely responsible - as far as the creditor is concerned.

However, the debt might count as marital debt. If it does, you can ask for the divorce judge to order your ex to pay half. Whether they would do so or not depends on a lot of other factors - including things like 'who is keeping the home?'.
We have decided to sell the house. Will she be responsible for half of the loan? Does it matter that she claims she didn't know about it?

nextwife

So, where does SHE claim the downpayment came from? She didn't provide it, right? It came from SOMEWHERE. I didn't magically appear. If you and she did not have the funds, it had to have come from somewhere.

mistoffolees

We have decided to sell the house. Will she be responsible for half of the loan? Does it matter that she claims she didn't know about it?
She will be entitled to 1/2 of marital equity. The loan certainly factors into that if it meets the requirements of marital debt (that is, was it taken out while you were married?).

tranquility

A possible complication is that the loan company may have wanted a letter from the relative stating the "loan" was a gift in order to meet guidelines for the first.

Was there such a letter signed?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">