• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

getting divorced

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aaryamaan

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ILLINOIS
I have been in love with a girl and she is a US citizen,we both want to get married but she was married before and didn't get divorced and its been three years she got separated from him,she does'nt have any kids with him too and she doesn't even know where he is right now?What is the way she can get a divorce in this situation?How long does it take?
Your response is appreciated.
Thankx

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I have been in love with a girl and she is a US citizen,we both want to get married but she was married before and didn't get divorced and its been three years she got separated from him,she does'nt have any kids with him too and she doesn't even know where he is right now?What is the way she can get a divorce in this situation?How long does it take?
Thankx
She can (and should) consult an attorney.

Proserpina

Thankx

She needs to speak with an attorney.

A message board can't really help her.

mistoffolees

Thankx
The others are right - she needs to see an attorney because it's not something she can easily do on her own.

However, to answer your question, yes it is possible for her to get a divorce even if she doesn't know where her husband is. It will involve notifying her husband by publication - and any decent family attorney will be able to do it.

I don't know how long it will take since that varies a great deal from one county to the next, but, again, her attorney can tell her.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">