• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Minor accident and insurance claim??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jostleigh

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa
My daughter was driving (on her way to get her license) and rear ended a vehicle - very light, air bags did not go off and seatbelts did not even tighten.
I am very ashamed to admit that I got in the drivers seat and said that I was the driver (she was hysterical and in tears...I acted in total panic mode).
The other drive and I pulled into a parking lot and exchanged information. Since there was no damage to my vehicle and just a scratch on her bumper we both decided calling the police was not needed. I called my insurance agent and told them I rear ended a car and to make a long story short, the other drive is now trying to get medical injuries paid because of this minor accident. What are my consequences for lying to my insurance company (I received a call wanting an interview to get my story). I want to fess up and tell the truth but someone told me I could go to prison for lying. My intentions were not to get out of paying for insurance, just to help my daughter (she was covered under our insurance at the time so it wasn't to avoid that). Please help, I want to do the right thing but don't want to go to jail over it

ecmst12

You're not going to go to jail. Just tell the truth. It doesn't materially affect the claim either way so there's no reason to lie.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">