• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

new unifrom policy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

djones7

After 3yrs of employment our department director has decided all employees must wear a designated uniform which we must purchase ourselves. My question is in the state of texas are there any statutes specifying how long an employee has before compliance and whether or not uniforms must be provided or a clothing allowance is warranted?

A

Always searching

The tighter the belt is, the more restraints on the employer and hence the uniform policy. It infuriates me that so many companies demand certain manner of dress/uniforms and expect that the person pay for these. If they make it a company policy and you don't comply, then they can honestly terminate you for not following policy. If you fight this,there will be 5 people who will be glad to get your job and be happy to wear uniforms. I hate to say this, because I was HR for a company that did just as you described. I feel personally that if a company wants you to wear their color and expect neat, fresh uniforms every day, they should provide them, however, in this day of disposable and easily replaceable people, you will end up the loser if you fight it. I am in Texas and we let 5 people go for not complying with the uniform code. They didn't get unemployment because they didn't comply with a company order. They were warned three times and then fired. Sorry, wish there were more encouraging words.

B

buddy2bear

Yes, it is a shame, but if you unionize, then you can get the provision of, cleaning, etc., of uniforms into a contract and have the employer pay for them! In any event, supplying your own uniforms, cleaning, etc., could possibly be taken as a deduction on your income tax.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">