• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Division of Pre-Marital Assets

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

greydove

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Connecticut

I would like to know the laws regarding the division of martial assets, specifically contents of home.

I owned my home a total of 19 years, my current husband has been on the mortgage for the past 6 of those years. When he moved into my home, it was fully furnished, the only pieces of furniture that was given to us as a gift from my mother during the marriage was a new sofa.

He is now DEMANDING that I sell ALL of the furniture in the home. He also is demanding I meet him at a RE agency next week to sign a contract to have the home put on the market immediately. He said to me that since he has taken care of me and all the bills for those years I have no say in the matter.

What are the Laws concerning ALL pre-martial assets prior to him moving in. (I have photos showing all the furniture in my home prior to his moving in and I still have some receipts as well).

ecmst12

Is his name on the DEED?

If he is a co-owner, he owns half the house, meaning you will have to buy him out to continue owning the house.

If his name is NOT on the deed, he is owed only half the marital equity - meaning the current equity minus the equity that you had at the time of the marriage.

Sounds like as far as the furnishings go, he owns half the sofa if it was truly a gift to BOTH of you and not just to you, but half a used sofa isn't very much. All the furniture you owned before the marriage is yours.

mistoffolees

Is his name on the DEED?

If he is a co-owner, he owns half the house, meaning you will have to buy him out to continue owning the house.
While it is correct that if his name is on the title that he owns 1/2 of the house, in CT that doesn't mean that he's going to get 1/2 of the value in a divorce. The court can take into account the fact that OP owned the home for 13 years before putting him on the title.

If his name is NOT on the deed, he is owed only half the marital equity - meaning the current equity minus the equity that you had at the time of the marriage.

Sounds like as far as the furnishings go, he owns half the sofa if it was truly a gift to BOTH of you and not just to you, but half a used sofa isn't very much. All the furniture you owned before the marriage is yours.
Agreed. Fighting over standard household goods is generally a waste of time. They will be valued at fair market value - which is about what you'd see at a garage sale.

In any event, she doesn't need to sell anything or list the house for sale until there's a court order. She can tell stbx to pound sand and that he has to send his demands to her attorney because she's not going to listen. Do NOT start selling things now (first, you'll probably get a bad deal and second, it's probably a violation of the default divorce orders).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">