• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Brokerage acct division

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chiliconcarne

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I have a brokerage account, opened and funded fully during marriage. So, whatever is in the account is community property. I understand that. My ex wants half the stocks in this accounts as she claims financial hardship, which to a certain extend is true.

Roughly speaking, the value of the stocks in this account is about $100K and she is entitled to 50K of it. On the other hand, with the divorce, she left me high and dry and I may be holding the pot for a lot of debt that I may end up paying. (complex situation) She has already received the half the cash in the bank accounts under my name. This is the last piece of substantial asset that I have control over.

The divorce case is still going on. No asset distribution is finalized yet and most probably the case will last another year or so. If I give her the 50K of the 100K mentioned above and at the end she gets ordered to pay me 10-15K as a result of the asset division, I think she will not be able to and I will get stiffed or struggle to recoup it from her.

Since the divorce and asset division is not final, instead of giving her the full$50 as her and her lawyer's letter asks, if I give her say $25K and hold on to the remaining $25K until the dissolution is final, would this come back to bite me because of the attorney's letter ? I do not want her to suffer hardship but my finances are not too rosy lately and if I get stiffed, that might hurt me financially. I hate to be the nice guy who gets hurt at the end.

Can I hold back some of the money she may be due to receiving at the end ?

TIA

mistoffolees

You could not be hurt by not splitting the accounts at all until the divorce is final. That will give her an incentive to get things settled.

I wouldn't give her anything without a court order in place.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">