• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

lawyer representation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ditzymiss

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

It used to be that if a lawyer represented you, they could never represent anyone against you? My question...is that still true and would that apply to a firm, i.e....if a lawyer in a firm represented you, could someone else in that firm represent someone against you?

Mass_Shyster

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

It used to be that if a lawyer represented you, they could never represent anyone against you?
I'm not sure that this is an accurate statement.
My question...is that still true and would that apply to a firm, i.e....if a lawyer in a firm represented you, could someone else in that firm represent someone against you?
Your former lawyer (nor anyone in the lawyer's firm) can represent someone else against you in a substantially similar matter.

Your present lawyer (nor anyone in the lawyer's firm) can represent someone else against you in any matter.

This is from the ABA Model Rules of Professional Conduct.

It appears that NJ follows the model rules - at least when it concerns conflicts - see http://www.judiciary.state.nj.us/rules/apprpc.htm

Rules 1.7 and 1.9

Last edited:

Mass_Shyster

I'm not sure either, which is why i posted the question. Anyone know FOR SURE?
I don't know why it matters what the rules used to be.

I posted an answer based on the current rules, and gave a citation for those rules. I'm really not interested in researching the history of NJ rules of professional conduct, when they were adopted, and what the previous rules were.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">