• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

bifurcation of issues in a divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kbc1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oklahoma

Is it possible to get the court to bifurcate issues in a divorce? I don't mean grant the divorce without settling all issues. I mean, have a trial addressing custody only, followed by a trial to settle all other matters at a later date?

Thanks

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oklahoma

Is it possible to get the court to bifurcate issues in a divorce? I don't mean grant the divorce without settling all issues. I mean, have a trial addressing custody only, followed by a trial to settle all other matters at a later date?

Thanks
Bifurcate really isn't the right term for what you are talking about. Bifurcate usually indicates finalizing a divorce before property settlement issues are finalized...and maybe even child custody issues.

Its not uncommon at all for custody matters to be decided prior to the finalization of a divorce. Its not even uncommon for custody matters to be decided before a divorce is even initialized.

kbc1

There are already temporary orders in place. A hearing to modified temporary was held this week. It made the orders more restrictive to one parent based on GAL's testimony only. No other testimony needed for the judge to rule. Plenty of other witnesses available. Are you telling me this hearing was not needed? Are you saying that you can file for custody separate from the divorce?

By the way, the hearing on motion to quash isn't for 2 more months.

I want to thank you for not only taking the time to respond but for trying to be helpful in your responses.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">