• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Harassed by Security/Police Officer at County Annex Building

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JordanJ1221

Oklahoma

I was summoned for Jury Duty in Oklahoma County and went Friday at 3:00 to try to postpone it for after my college finals (Summons said Dec 13 2010 at 8:00 AM and I have finals Monday and Wednesday).

I am a twenty year-old female (almost 21) and I have never had a reason to go downtown for anything court related. I've never been in any sort of trouble, not even a ticket. I left work to try to ask the judge permission, and when I got inside the county building, it's set up security wise like an airport with the queue lines, walk-thru detectors, and conveyor belt.

I weaved through the line, put my purse on the belt and was directed to walk through the metal detector by a male officer. I complied, and then I set it off. He instructed me to walk back through, but this time put my right hand on my head when I walked through. I did as he said, and set it off again. He then instructed me to put my left hand on my stomach as well, so, I did. When I walked through it again, he said "turn around slowly in circles". Without thought, I did. When I realized that him and another male officer, and a male behind me were laughing at my expense, I stopped. The officer said "I'm sorry, it's the pink outfit and platinum blonde hair...it was kind of asking for it." Flustered and somewhat lost as I was totally out of my element and not wanting to be late, I said, "oh, okay" and grabbed my purse and summons and hurried to the fifth floor where I was supposed to go.

When I left after unsuccessfully getting my JD moved, I walked out and he laughed and said "Don't leave that bleach on so long next time, girl!" I waved him off and went back to my car.

I told my dad what had happened and he asked why I hadn't asked for a supervisor for this man. I told him I didn't want to be late for the assigned 3 pm time and thought it was nice and appropriate of me to take an officer's orders. I'm not dumb when it comes to the law, as I've been dating one of my city's police officers for nearly six months and hear things he mentions. I am also a senior in college studying Family Life Education-Marriage and Family, and plan to go on into family law. I have some background, but I just feel like this was sort of out of line. My dad is upset, and I'm just confused.

What should I do, if anything? I don't want to start drama, I'm not, and don't come from a blue collar family, and by no means am I out to sue for money. However, with all the news stories about TSA and security measures, these people aren't doing a stellar job making SOME people feel safe in their surroundings. That's what I want, is some sort of light to be brought to this.

What do you think?

justalayman

While the comments were unnecessary, you do state the detector was triggered. It sounds like they were idiots but still doing their jobs. If you are offended or believe something needs to be said, make a complaint to whatever agency they work for.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">