• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can not collect divorce settlement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

joycy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

Hello, My divorce seetlement was to be paid by Nov. 15 and my ex keeps saying that he has to pay me through his attnorey. My attnorey calls his ans the calls are not returned. My attnorey says the only way I can collect is to fuile contempt charges which will cost me $500.00 & he says that no doubt after I file they will pay but I will be out $500. I do not have $500 and I have borrowed money (to be paid back out of settlement) so I cannot borrow it. I earn barey enough to keep body & soul together. Please advise. Thanks:mad:What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Since you're in contact with your ex, have you told him that his lawyer isn't responding to calls from yours? And that if he doesn't get it sorted out, you're going to have to file for contempt and ask that he pay your legal fees? Might be worth a try.

mistoffolees

Since you're in contact with your ex, have you told him that his lawyer isn't responding to calls from yours? And that if he doesn't get it sorted out, you're going to have to file for contempt and ask that he pay your legal fees? Might be worth a try.
I'd give it a try (perhaps telling ex that contempt charges can lead to jail terms might induce him to pay), but it's very likely that you're going to have to file for contempt. It sounds like they're going to game the system.

First, filing for contempt shouldn't cost $500. Ask your court clerk about the fees. In some cases, fees can be waived.

Second, if ex doesn't come up with the money pronto (tell him he has 5 days or you're filing), there's probably no point in waiting since the only way you'll see your money is filing for contempt.

Third, when you file for contempt, you will have to enter in the amount ex owes you. Add in the fees and any other expenses (mileage to get to court, etc) that you can think of.

Finally, I'm willing to bet that as soon as you've filed for contempt, that your money arrives. I'm assuming he would pay the original debt, but not the fees and expenses. I would let the thing go to a hearing and ask the judge to order him to pay all of your other expenses.

joycy

can't collect devorce settlement

Thanks so much for your replies. I calmly told my ex and his attnorney what I was going to do and they caved-I got my money. Thank you!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">