• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legally married or not?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dorothy531

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

My husband and I have been married 2 years. Recently he tried to have his childred visit from Nigeria. The Nigerian Consulate denied this request, because he was not legally divorced from his wife in Nigeria. He divorced her in Illinois a month ago. Are we legally married?

mistoffolees

If he has divorce her, one site says that your marriage is now valid:
Illinois Divorce - Marriage - Family Law Article

HOWEVER, note that different sites give different information. A couple of sites say that your marriage is void -- that is, it never existed. Other sites say that it is voidable - that is, you could CHOOSE to have it annulled if you wish. Most sites say that if you do want to have the marriage annulled, you need to do so within 90 days of when you find out that there's a problem.

Given that there is so much conflicting information on this question for IL (I've never see so much conflicting information on what should be a simple question), I would suggest that you make an appointment with an attorney ASAP. Many attorneys will give you the initial consultation for free, if money is a problem.

Zippy123

Without looking at the statute of your state, my gut tells me it was a bigamous marriage and is likely null and void. That is just a guess though. If you want to avoid the legal costs, I would marry again just to be on the safe side. Town hall can accomplish that easily and cheaply.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">