• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Inherited the house but not the furniture? What's ghat cover?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

XMisterMikex

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Connecticut.

Recently my aunt, the wife of my dads brother passed away. Now my uncle had wanted the house to stay in our family so it was left to me. But my aunt had named her sister as the executor of the will and apparently that means all tangible assets go to her. Does that mean all the furniture and items in the house are hers?

Also if so, are there some items that aren't hers? Her and her husband have sold off almost everything so far including a chandeler and light fixtures that have left holes in the walls with wires sticking out. To me that should be considered part of the house. Were they in the wrong to sell those? Appreciate any insight.

curb1

Do you have a copy of the will? Has the will been probated? If not, the "executor" does not have the authority to do what she has done. The will should spell out what is yours, and what is "hers".

Generally, she would not have a right to remove the chandeliers. What is the value of all of this?

anteater

But my aunt had named her sister as the executor of the will and apparently that means all tangible assets go to her.
Being named executor does not mean that all [I suspect that you meant to say...] personal property goes to her. Her sister receives whatever is due to her under the provisions of the will.

To me that should be considered part of the house. Were they in the wrong to sell those?
Uhhhh... probably. But is it worth the time and money to fight it?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">