• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Police Harrassment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lounge71

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL
I just recently moved to a very small town. My wife was pulled over in my truck, the police chief took her drivers license and registration and made her come down to his office to discuss the citation. She said she felt it was innapropriate and felt the chief was being arrogant and boasting / flirting with her. She got a speeding violoation.
Week later im pulled over by same officer. He tells me im speeding and he thought it was my wife speeding again thats why he pulled me over. I assured him i was not speeding I asked for to see the radar and his log books. I told him I was sorry to dissapoint him that he wasnt pulling over my wife, and i felt it was innapropriate for any one to have to go down town to his private office to get a speeding violation. He became defensive and refused to show me his radar or logs and said this would be a verbal warning.
Sunday night i am traveling back from out of state,wife and kids in tow 11pm at night,windy and cold. I am driving into city limits with cruise control on 45 speed limit 45. i am followed from city line to my driveway. i pull in to my driveway no lights no sirens and a the cop pulls in after me. I exit the car. take my 2 year old out his car seat like normal and the deputy chief has his flashlight in my face and tells me infront of my wife ,6year old to" get back in the ****ing car" which i respond not with out lights and sirens or probable cause why are you on my private property" he says he needs my liscence and registration. My wife asks him why he is being rude to us He states he is being rude to me not her. I gave him my liscence and told him " i want to inform him i have a firearm in the glove box and that is where my registration. he tells me that he pulls me over cause there were 2 reports of me speeding around town. I told him that he followed me from the city limits to my house and i just came back to town, how could this be. He points his finger in my face and says are you calling me a liar. I told him he was misinformed. i tried to deescalate but it got worse. he said i was speeding when i came into town and he could issue my a citation for 53/45.I assured him i was not speeding I asked for to see the radar and his log books. No violations were issued. no warnings were issued. I assure him that would be filing a formal complaint that this is harrassment
Heres the point i break. 12 hours later the police chief goes to my wifes employer and my employer with a copy of alleged report and states that this incident is not appropriate and might cause a professional strain on the police dept and the professional business within the community. I work in a hospital , my wife works in a nursing home. He doesnt even have jurisdiction of my hospital it is the sherriffs jurisdiction. i have contacted an attorney and awaiting consultation.

I have never been so mad what do i do**************.

Take notes, write it all out.

Call the Florida State Attorney General, and contact the FBI make a civil rights complaint, contact the ACLU. You want documentation and paper trails, so the next person who complains can make a difference.

Go to Ebay, search for spy pen ($20-$30), buy 2, carry with you and wife where ever you go. Practice using the spy pen, next time you get pulled over turn it on, Check your state for recording laws. If the state has laws, email the video to all your friends. Find the right course of action to file as many complaints as you can, find others who have been harassed by this SOB, and spread the word.

If you are quiet about it, he can make the problem go away, if everybody knows he can't touch you.

Ask your lawyer about spy pens, video is a powerful defense.

Also put cameras on your home, buy a good security system.

CdwJava

On first blush, the actions seem inappropriate though not necessarily unlawful. The Chief certainly opens himself up to all manner of allegations if he engages in this sort of activity on a regular basis.

I should also note that there is no state that requires an officer to show a driver the radar reading or any paperwork associated with a stop. The time to review documents is at court, and the officer never has to show anyone else the radar reading. In fact, there are some serious safety and liability issues that come into play with bringing someone back to see a radar reading.

The activity certainly seems inappropriate and harassing. Your attorney can advise you of what steps you might take, but there might be little you can do unless the actions continue. Suing the agency might require an articulation of damages and that might be tough without an arrest, citation, or some sort of detrimental action from your employers as a result of the police contacts.

I agree that a video camera might be worthwhile, BUT, you will need to find out if such recording is lawful in your state when only one party is aware of it. I suspect it is, but there has been news recently of some jurisdictions in some states trying to allege that one party recording laws apply even to a public encounter with the police.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">