• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

WA state noneconomic award law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

karin5

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington State

Does Title 4 RCW Initiative 974 still determine that noneconomic awards are no longer possible in Washington State? New Section 3 states "it is hereby pronounced that noneconomic damages may no longer be awarded". It says it is certified by Sam Reed, Secretary of State of WA. Was this ever amended, or is it really true I cannot get anything for all of my pain and suffering?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Not only is this a duplicate post, but you received an answer in your other thread...

https://forum.freeadvice.com/auto-accidents-vehicle-claims-1/washington-state-non-economic-damages-537041.html

karin5

Asking about initiative

I didn't mean to duplicate. I simply wanted to know if anyone had heard of Initiative 974. The person who replied to me didn't say anything about it, and in fact stated that it is possible to get a noneconomic award. So either the person who answered me wasn't aware of this new section to Title 4 RCW, or it has changed. Thats what I'm trying to find out. Do you have that answer?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You received the correct response in your other thread.

An "initiative" is not law. There ARE limits on the amount of non-economic damages that can be collected...but they are not barred entirely.

racer72

Initiative 974 never made the ballot and was never voted on. What you read was the initiative was accepted by the Secretary of State Reed. The petitioners had a set amount of time to submit signatures of voters but they never submitted the required number.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">