• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car Damaged by Towing Company

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

taktix101

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, CA.

Yesterday my car was towed (apparently it was parked illegally).

Today I went to pick up my car from the impound lot, paid my fees, and was sent out back to the lot. An attendant drove my car over and I was told that I was free and clear to go.

As a precaution, I started examining my car for any damage caused by the towing. I noticed several scratches and asked the attendant for a claim form which he immediately provided.

I walked around the car, noting what I thought might have been damage caused by the towing, and suddenly an insurance rep "appeared," saying that she was going to take pictures as evidence for my claim. Surprised by this abrupt, unexpected assistance, I resumed examining the car. It wasn't until I noticed that the front-fender and headlight had been smashed (and the body extensively scratched) that the rep mentioned, seemingly as an after-thought:

"By-the-way, their was an incident report filed during your car being towed."

Incident report?

"Yeah, I guess at some point your car got loose from the tow truck and hit another car."

You guess?!?!

It seems apparent that the towing company had every intention of letting me drive off without informing me of this "incident report." Fortunately they HAVE assumed liability for at least the cosmetic damage, but I fear there may be damage to the engine components.

Anyway, long story short, I'm wondering if there is any legal precedent that states the towing company was required to notify me of the incident prior to allowing me to leave.

Thanks for any advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">