• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ca detainment before search warrant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Dan in sb

cops searched my home after i apparently got broken into and found a 1/4 gram of meth. they left but didn't take the meth with them nor did they shut my broken front door or leave a card or something stating they had been there. 5 hours later I called the cops to report the breakin. after i told them who i thought did all the damage, which is over $1000.00, they informed me they had been at my home right after the breakin occured. They didn't say anything about the meth at all. two days later 6 narcs arrived and asked me if they could search my home without a search warrant. i told them no. they said fine we will go get one while I sit and wait and they detained me for 3 1/2 hours while one left and obtained one. they wouldn't let me move from the couch. i asked them to leave that they were violating my 4th amendment. Is this leagal in ca? Also shouldn't they have secured my property on the night of the breakin and informed me they had been there?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">