• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

towed my car from my carport during traffic stop

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vikkia66

Washington

A friend was driving my legal tabbed insured car when he passed a city cop doing a traffic stop. My friend had to turn around a few seconds later because the road was closed.He passed the same cop who was still out of his car at the same traffic stop. About a minute later he pulled into my driveway and parked my car under my car port a few seconds later that same cop pulled in to my driveway with his lights on. My husband told our friend to get out of the car and lock it. The cop told him to stay in the car. Then told my husband he was on a traffic stop and to mind his own business and go back in our house. My husband told the cop he was on private property and the cop said when I saw him pass me I knew he did not have a license I was going to just give him a ticket but now I am towing car too. My carport is at least 60 to 75 feet from the city road. The driver of my car did not know he was being pulled over until the cop drove onto my property. If the cop followed him with lights on the city street and then my friend pulled into my driveway then carport with the cop right on his tail I could understand the tow. He was parked and engine off and door open before the cop whom he had just passed twice ( He was out of his car on foot both times) pulled into my driveway with his lights on. I tried to get him not to tow the car but he told me I can thank my husband for the tow and he wasn't changing his mind. Can he do that??? Cause he did.. $250 to get my car.. Now I have 10 days to file a impounded vehicle hearing request to get tow fee and filing fee back. Am I wasting my time and more money? It is a $73 filing fee. ThanksWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

FlyingRon

Nope, it was proper. RCW 45.55.113 allows the impound when (among other times):

(g) Upon determining that a person is operating a motor vehicle without a valid and, if required, a specially endorsed driver's license or with a license that has been expired for ninety days or more;​

There's no provision for getting out of it just because the vehicle is on private property, nor does it matter that the car had valid registration. The only exception is for commercial vehicles under certain circumstances (when not operated by the owner).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">