• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

rental car Issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Limeyness

I rear ended someone in a rental car, Yeah they stopped on an on ramp. I have my own insurance (not collision) but when I rented the car their computer system was down and they filled out the paperwork by hand. They never offered me any collision insurance at all.

I have my copy of the rental agreement which clearly shows I never accepted the extra insurance or waived it either.

Am I still liable? I might have taken it if asked, but I wasnt.

I am in Mass

Last edited:

Limeyness

Sorry,

It seems that the rental company may want me to pay for the damages to the rental car.

I have regular insurance, and they covered the other stuff, but I am wondering where I stand with the rental company.

Mass_Shyster

Sorry,

It seems that the rental company may want me to pay for the damages to the rental car.

I have regular insurance, and they covered the other stuff, but I am wondering where I stand with the rental company.
It sounds like you owe the rental company for the damage you did to their car. Did you use a credit card to rent the car? Does your credit card offer any insurance? (Gold cards used to - call and ask)

The CDW is covered by MGL 90 Section 32 E 1/2

http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXIV/Chapter90/Section32E1~2

Last edited:

davew128

Aside from the cost of repairing or replacing the rental company's vehicle (you don't have collision on your policy), you will likely owe the rental company reimbursement what they could have rented the vehicle for during the time it takes to make them whole. That's in every rental contract I've signed for several years now and YOUR insurance company isn't responsible for that.

Limeyness

Ouch,

Even though they did not offer it to me? The guy at the rental place barely filled in anything, and the waiver sections are completely blank.

Damn the car dealership for not giving me my car faster! took them a week to register it, thats the only reason I had the rental car in the first place.

ecmst12

You caused the damage, you owe the money. But the "loss of use" charge is bogus and you should refuse to pay that unless they can prove that they actually lost money because they had no other cars to rent out on the days that car was in the shop.

Limeyness

Oh well, I dont have the money to cover it, so I will have to work something out.

Thanks for all the help!

Limeyness

Mass_Shyster

Ouch,

Even though they did not offer it to me? The guy at the rental place barely filled in anything, and the waiver sections are completely blank.

Damn the car dealership for not giving me my car faster! took them a week to register it, thats the only reason I had the rental car in the first place.
Ummm ... What dealership? What car? If it was a new car from a dealership, you probably had collision on it, that would have covered the rental. If so, when was your policy written?

Limeyness

Sorry again!

I was in a rental car because i was in the process of buying a car and they were taking their time getting the paperwork, so they offered to pay for a rental car for me.

I did the paperwork and they paid for it. the guys at the rental agency did not have their computers running so they hand filled in the forms.

They asked for my insurance but never asked me if I had collision, or if I wanted it.

to be honest I never knew if I had it or not.

Mass_Shyster

Sorry again!

I was in a rental car because i was in the process of buying a car and they were taking their time getting the paperwork, so they offered to pay for a rental car for me.

I did the paperwork and they paid for it. the guys at the rental agency did not have their computers running so they hand filled in the forms.

They asked for my insurance but never asked me if I had collision, or if I wanted it.

to be honest I never knew if I had it or not.
The specific question is: Did you have insurance on the new car at the time of the accident?

Also: Have you confirmed with your credit card company that they do not automatically offer coverage?

Limeyness

The specific question is: Did you have insurance on the new car at the time of the accident?

Also: Have you confirmed with your credit card company that they do not automatically offer coverage?
Yes I had insurance on the new car, but not collision apparently. I never paid for the rental, the dealership did, so I have no Idea if they are covered.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">