• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

division of separate property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

flowers5

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I am in a situation where my attorney was not able to explain in plain and simple terms but I am going t put down what I understood from him and ask the nice people of these forums if my understanding is correct.

Numbers are rounded for simplification purposes, otherwise not actual numbers. Although ratio between two properties in question is pretty much what it is in my real case.

I have a home I have purchased almost 5 years before getting married. My husband has a home which he purchased 3-4 months before getting married.

At the time of marriage, my house worthed 150K, balance of mtg was 110K
At the time of marriage, my husband's house worthed 180K balance of mtg was 175K

my monthly mortgage payments were $1000/mo
his monthly mortgage payments were $1400/mo

marriage lasted 100 months (give or take few, 100 is just a round figure)

I have withdrawn 50K equity from my property and put it under community property (paid down extra money to the house we purchased which is now in foreclosure)

he withdrew $25K to pay off credit card debt both from premarital and married times

my house value today is 160K mtg balance is 150K
his house value today is 155K mtg balance is 180K

Community money paid 100*1000 = 100,000 mtg payments to the house under my name
Community money paid 100*1400 = 140,000 mtg payments to the house under his name

papers for both of these houses are only one one person either mine or his. We do not have any signatures on deeds or mortgages of these properties. After the divorce, I want to keep my property and don't know what his intention is but I have no say-so on that property

If we say everything else is equal, like we are making the same amount of money, drive the same cars and equally divided the cash in community accounts between the two of us.

for the mortgage payments community paid me 100K
I gave 50K back to community from the equity of my house

for the mortgage payments community paid him 140K
he gave 25K back to community from the equity of his house (provided what he paid off was all community debt)

So, in the end, I owe community 50K to keep this house
he owes community 115K

When all is said and done, is it too optimistic to assume, we each erase 50K community debt and he has to pay me the remaining 65K ? Or if he walks away from that house, will the burden fall on the community ? I.E. I'm going to get shafted ? Or are there other factors like the current values of the houses and other things I may be overlooking will play role in this calculation ? If yes, how ?

Thanks a lot.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I am in a situation where my attorney was not able to explain in plain and simple terms but I am going t put down what I understood from him and ask the nice people of these forums if my understanding is correct.

Numbers are rounded for simplification purposes, otherwise not actual numbers. Although ratio between two properties in question is pretty much what it is in my real case.

I have a home I have purchased almost 5 years before getting married. My husband has a home which he purchased 3-4 months before getting married.

At the time of marriage, my house worthed 150K, balance of mtg was 110K
At the time of marriage, my husband's house worthed 180K balance of mtg was 175K

my monthly mortgage payments were $1000/mo
his monthly mortgage payments were $1400/mo

marriage lasted 100 months (give or take few, 100 is just a round figure)

I have withdrawn 50K equity from my property and put it under community property (paid down extra money to the house we purchased which is now in foreclosure)

he withdrew $25K to pay off credit card debt both from premarital and married times

my house value today is 160K mtg balance is 150K
his house value today is 155K mtg balance is 180K

Community money paid 100*1000 = 100,000 mtg payments to the house under my name
Community money paid 100*1400 = 140,000 mtg payments to the house under his name

papers for both of these houses are only one one person either mine or his. We do not have any signatures on deeds or mortgages of these properties. After the divorce, I want to keep my property and don't know what his intention is but I have no say-so on that property

If we say everything else is equal, like we are making the same amount of money, drive the same cars and equally divided the cash in community accounts between the two of us.

for the mortgage payments community paid me 100K
I gave 50K back to community from the equity of my house

for the mortgage payments community paid him 140K
he gave 25K back to community from the equity of his house (provided what he paid off was all community debt)

So, in the end, I owe community 50K to keep this house
he owes community 115K

When all is said and done, is it too optimistic to assume, we each erase 50K community debt and he has to pay me the remaining 65K ? Or if he walks away from that house, will the burden fall on the community ? I.E. I'm going to get shafted ? Or are there other factors like the current values of the houses and other things I may be overlooking will play role in this calculation ? If yes, how ?

Thanks a lot.
I think you have it completely wrong. Both homes have less equity in them now, then when you first got married, therefore I don't see anything at all belonging to the community from either home.

Yes, you both put community property into the homes, and both took equity out of the homes to put into the community, but the community cannot be due more than the increase in the equity of the homes, and there is no increase in either.

flowers5

Yes, you both put community property into the homes, and both took equity out of the homes to put into the community, but the community cannot be due more than the increase in the equity of the homes, and there is no increase in either.
But what I have heard thru the grapevine, my ex, or soon to be ex, claims, my house has some equity and if you look at the numbers, it looks like it is the equity that was added on while married. He thinks he is entitled to half of it as we paid the mortgage for this duration from the community property. Does he have a chance to get 5K from me, according to these numbers, if I keep my house ?

mistoffolees

But what I have heard thru the grapevine, my ex, or soon to be ex, claims, my house has some equity and if you look at the numbers, it looks like it is the equity that was added on while married. He thinks he is entitled to half of it as we paid the mortgage for this duration from the community property. Does he have a chance to get 5K from me, according to these numbers, if I keep my house ?
Have an appraisal done on the house so that you know rather than spending a lot of time worrying about something that isn't an issue.

LdiJ

No. Your house had 40k of equity when you got married. It has 10k in equity now, mostly because you gifted 50k of your equity to the community. If your EQUITY had increased by 10k then 10k would have been community property.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">