• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bench Warrant:What will happen? How to proceed?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kathkath

Please help, and thanks. I need to know what happens with a bench warrant in a larger metro area. This happened in Florida.
I missed a court date for a petty theft (shoplifting) charge. When I was arrested they held me in jail overnight and it scared me to death, and after the way I was treated I swore I would not go back. Now there is a bench warrant and I need to know if they will actively search for me or whether they will just passively keep the case open until something else were to happen in the future. If I were to go to the court now would they just give me another court date for this charge or worse, and if so, what would they do? I need to know how bench warrants are usually handled for petty offenses. The jail and court were county facilities. I was taken to a county jail by the local police. I don't know why it wasn't handled at the police station. I asked thenm if I could see a lawyer and they told me no, they just transported me to county jail where a friend bailed me out. Also, what happens to the photos and prints that were taken by the local and county police? Do they go into a national computer for a bench warrant? If anyone can answer all of these questions it will help me know what to expect and to make a decision. I am very scared. Another thing: as a result of being handcuffed I have bruises on the inside and outside of my wrist, and it was swollen. They told me it was my fault for twisting my hands in the cuffs. I also have a bruise on the inside of my upper are where I was roughly handled by the police. I took photos about 5 days later when they were still there but not as bad as they were at first. If someone can answer all of these questions and help me I appreciate it. Thank you.

[Edited by kathkath on 04-22-2001 at 08:07 AM]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">