• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

21 charged with petty larceny and vandalism

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vamistaker

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia-I was out partying when I got into a scuffle with a guy, I took his router ($150) in drunken stupidness and then freaked out and threw it in the dumpster. Next morning i recieve a call from the investigator, I tell him excactky what happen and go get the router and take it to him at the station and wrote down my statement. I plugged th router in and it all seemed to be working right, but i offered to buy a new one anyway. The police officer said it shouldn't be a big deal and not to expect any charges since i did the right thing. He took the router back to the kid and the kid said it didn't work and he pressed charges. I was charged with petty larceny and vandalism. I have never had any charges on my record or even a ticket. What should I expect I cannot find the penalties anywhere and how should I go about the case?

Thank You for any help.

justalayman

well, you can go into the court and just plead guilty.

Don't know what you are looking for. You are being charged with a crime. It appears the victim wants to exact some justice so isn't going to just accept you buying a new router.

So, you can either go to the court and fight this on your own or hire a lawyer that knows what s/he is doing and attempt to get this dropped or minimized.

vamistaker

I'm goin to get a Lawyer. But he was in court today so I was just looking for what to expect to ease my tension a little bit. I'm obviously guilty and thanks to my smart decision to go in without lawyer have no fight there and wasn't tryin to fight anyway. I was just wondering if anyone has been involved with something like this and how there case worked out as far as Dropped, fines. class 1 misdameaner have a chance of jail time. Is that a real possibillity I'm more just worried I know what I did was wrong I just need to know whats ahead.

vamistaker

UPDATE-I have been in contact with the guy who owned the router and apologized and he's really nice about it. I am goin to go ahead and buy him a new router and he is going to call the DA to let him know we have worked it out and I reimbursed him and he would like the charges to be dropped. This again is my first ever charge. I feel like this is going to help and atleast I feel better about it. With this is their a good chance my charges will be droped or lessened.

FlyingRon

That's entirely up to the Commonwealth's Attorney (we don't call them DA's here). As far as the criminal charges are concerned, it's not the victim that is prosecuting you, it's the Commonwealth of Virginia. However, the victim is given a decent amount of consideration in most of the counties.

vamistaker

thank you, I've been getting some good feedback from people that since i turned myself in and already corrected the mistake by reimbursing him. I'll probally be looking at a few hours of comunity service then they will get dropped upon completion. But thanks for yahs anwers and if anyonbe has any other advice that will help feel free.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">