• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Another Marijuana Charge......

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jschwa97

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Indiana

On November 30, 2010 I got arrested for 3 grams of weed. They gave me a ticket for possession and a court date of Jan 4, 2011. My lawyer says I will most likely receive conditional discharge this being my first offense and be on probation for a year.

My question is about what it means to be on probation.

I know I will receive an initial drug test once the court gives the conditional discharge sentence.

How long after the court date is this test usually given? Will it be a urine test or blood test? If I pass what are the chances I will recieve further drug tests throughout the probation period? If I fail the preliminary test what are the consequences?

Thank you

jschwa97

lol... I told him I would, and I have kept my word and have been clean since.

But I'm on winter break from college (bored with my friends I haven't seen in months) and I AM planning on staying clean unless I obtain info that would result in being able to smoke with my friends over break and still pass the first drug test. (most likely not going to happen, I know... but I can dream right?)

That being said, the friend I was with when we got arrested has already smoked since and is most likely going to smoke over winter break.

I've been trying to convince him it isn't worth it but he is too ****ed up to be able to quit for even a couple weeks let alone the entire probation period.

Indiana Filer

lol... I told him I would, and I have kept my word and have been clean since.

But I'm on winter break from college (bored with my friends I haven't seen in months) and I AM planning on staying clean unless I obtain info that would result in being able to smoke with my friends over break and still pass the first drug test. (most likely not going to happen, I know... but I can dream right?)
Keep dreaming. In my county, you would be ordered to report to probation immediately upon being placed on probation and would be given a UDS that day. And even if it's clean, we'll still test you regularly during your term of probation.

jschwa97

Keep dreaming. In my county, you would be ordered to report to probation immediately upon being placed on probation and would be given a UDS that day. And even if it's clean, we'll still test you regularly during your term of probation.

Thanks for the info.

I'm in Tippecanoe county (lafayette area), do you know anything about the court there?

Also, in the summer I will be in Massachusetts, will they still try and drug test me when I am out of state?

Indiana Filer

Thanks for the info.

I'm in Tippecanoe county (lafayette area), do you know anything about the court there?

Also, in the summer I will be in Massachusetts, will they still try and drug test me when I am out of state?
Not my county, but many counties have similar policies to ours. Also, do you realize you will have to get permission from the probation officer and the Court to go home to MA this summer? If you are on probation, you don't leave the state without permission.

jschwa97

Not my county, but many counties have similar policies to ours. Also, do you realize you will have to get permission from the probation officer and the Court to go home to MA this summer? If you are on probation, you don't leave the state without permission.
Ok well then I will most definitely be staying clean.

I did not realize that. They will probably let me be home for the summer if I be cooperative and pass all tests right?

My court date isn't until Jan 4 so I'll know more about how long my probation is and the exact conditions then. Although I won't even be there, my lawyer will be there in my place.

Dave1952

Be sure that your lawyer knows that you hope to be in Mass. for the Summer. He'll try to work something out.

Good luck

Indiana Filer

Ok well then I will most definitely be staying clean.

I did not realize that. They will probably let me be home for the summer if I be cooperative and pass all tests right?

My court date isn't until Jan 4 so I'll know more about how long my probation is and the exact conditions then. Although I won't even be there, my lawyer will be there in my place.
You want to be clean on all alcohol/drug screens, and you want to be compliant with all terms ordered by the Court if you want a travel permit.

Make sure your attorney knows you want to go to MA for summer as it is your home, and that you will be coming back to Purdue for the fall semester.

jschwa97

You want to be clean on all alcohol/drug screens, and you want to be compliant with all terms ordered by the Court if you want a travel permit.

Make sure your attorney knows you want to go to MA for summer as it is your home, and that you will be coming back to Purdue for the fall semester.
I told my lawyer this information and he said I will most likely be put on unsupervised probation in which I will not have to get permission to leave the state. I don't know the exact difference between unsupervised and supervised but sounds better than supervised. Ill keep this updated for anyone who cares.

Thank you all for the help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">