• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lawsuit questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Harlosp

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ
I was in an accident 22 months ago where I rear ended a car. No tickets were issues, my car was damaged, but the other person drove away with minimal damage. According to the accident report, the person complained of neck pain, but refused medical attention.
Several months after the accident, the person reported to my ins company that he was not hurt, they paid for the person's car repairs and the claim was closed.
I just found out the person is suing me. I am very worried about this as my coverage was on 100k at the time of the accident.
Everyone is telling me I am over reacting, but I'm still nervous.
ps. My insurance co is handling this
How worried should I be? Anyone ever go through this? Thank you!

racer72

Unless your insurance company tells you to hire an attorney because the lawsuit exceeds your policy limits, you have nothing really to worry about. Maybe just higher premiums for the next few years.

Dave1952

Ask your insurance agent whether they required the other driver to sign a "release" as part of closing this case. I'd be surprised if they did not. The release should be his agreement that he was releasing you from any future claims.

Good luck

ecmst12

A release for a property damage settlement only covers future PROPERTY claims. It would be unethical to use a property damage settlement as a ploy to get a release from injury claims.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">