• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

11 yrs unhappy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DaveG.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York
I am unhappy in my marriage now for 11 years. I have a son and stepdaughter with whom i have finally achieved a good relationship with. I have tried to divorce my wife in the past twice to no avail. My son went into an emotional and academic nosedive which i could not bare to watch. I have since learned that the divorce laws in NY have change to my benefit. The on ly other problem that exists is that my mother lives downstairs with alzheimers and is cared for by aides whom I hired. The wife is an unforgiving person with a cold heart. She just wants my mom out the house and really cantwait until she dies as does my sister who cant wait for the money. If I get a divorce and sell the house I am afraid that my mom will be forced into a nursing home. I could really usesome useful info on this. Also, can anyone tell me what a tag is and a trackback please . Thanx in advance. David

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York
I am unhappy in my marriage now for 11 years. I have a son and stepdaughter with whom i have finally achieved a good relationship with. I have tried to divorce my wife in the past twice to no avail. My son went into an emotional and academic nosedive which i could not bare to watch. I have since learned that the divorce laws in NY have change to my benefit. The on ly other problem that exists is that my mother lives downstairs with alzheimers and is cared for by aides whom I hired. The wife is an unforgiving person with a cold heart. She just wants my mom out the house and really cantwait until she dies as does my sister who cant wait for the money. If I get a divorce and sell the house I am afraid that my mom will be forced into a nursing home. I could really usesome useful info on this. Also, can anyone tell me what a tag is and a trackback please . Thanx in advance. David
I am unaware of any recent changes in NY divorce law. You are right to some extent. Unless you get another place to live that is large enough to accomodate your mother, she may have to go to a nursing home.

Rushia

I am unaware of any recent changes in NY divorce law. You are right to some extent. Unless you get another place to live that is large enough to accomodate your mother, she may have to go to a nursing home.
We recently added no grounds divorce. Up to August (thereabouts, anyway), we were a fault state.

Gail in Georgia

If your mother has funds (and from your posting it indicates she does as your sister is waiting for the money when mom passes away)...and you sell the house, what's to stop you from purchasing another house where your mom can be set up in the same situation she is in now?

Gail

mistoffolees

We recently added no grounds divorce. Up to August (thereabouts, anyway), we were a fault state.
That's good - it was sort of a joke before. My ex was divorced by her first husband on the grounds of "(1) The cruel and inhuman treatment of the plaintiff by the defendant such that the conduct of the defendant so endangers the physical or mental well being of the plaintiff as renders it unsafe or improper for the plaintiff to cohabit with the defendant."

Now, there really wasn't any cruel or inhuman treatment, but they needed something, so that's the grounds that most people used.

Rushia

That's good - it was sort of a joke before. My ex was divorced by her first husband on the grounds of "(1) The cruel and inhuman treatment of the plaintiff by the defendant such that the conduct of the defendant so endangers the physical or mental well being of the plaintiff as renders it unsafe or improper for the plaintiff to cohabit with the defendant."

Now, there really wasn't any cruel or inhuman treatment, but they needed something, so that's the grounds that most people used.
Yes, it was the grounds I used when I divorced my ex husband. I don't know that it was really cruel and inhuman BUT it would have endangered my mental well being if I had remained married to him. LOL

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Yes, it was the grounds I used when I divorced my ex husband. I don't know that it was really cruel and inhuman BUT it would have endangered my mental well being if I had remained married to him. LOL
Ditto that. I swear to God - had I remained married to my ex, I'd either have killed myself or have been declared insane.

CJane

Ditto that. I swear to God - had I remained married to my ex, I'd either have killed myself or have been declared insane.
LOL

THAT should be grounds enough. "He drives me mad!"

I do NOT get "fault" states. Talk about setting things up to be adversarial.

ecmst12

Generally the answer that DH and I both give to the constant stream of "So how's married life?" questions we keep getting is "Well we haven't killed each other yet so it must be good!"

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">