• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Someone is spamming my buddies cell phone!!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ledman5555

i live in california.

so here's the situation. i have a buddy that fired an employee and now the employee is making posts on craigslist, under the free adds, and putting free items with my buddys Business number on it. So he is getting slammed with phoone calls and cant get business, because he needs his phone...

What can my buddy do to this employee?

what are the charges/outcome

How does he go about proving that its him

CdwJava

i live in california.

so here's the situation. i have a buddy that fired an employee and now the employee is making posts on craigslist, under the free adds, and putting free items with my buddys Business number on it. So he is getting slammed with phoone calls and cant get business, because he needs his phone...

That's the rub. Unless it can be proven that the former employee is doing this, there really is not a lot that can be done to the ex employee. Your buddy can certainly report this to the police, but to be brutally honest they are not likely to pursue it too hard. Off the top of my head, I can't think of a crime that comes to mind beyond 653m (a misdemeanor for annoying and harassing calls), and even that one might be a stretch because the suspect is not making the call. There may well be some charges to be had, but they escape me off the top of my head - and I suspect they would also be misdemeanors.

And, bottom line, they are almost certainly NOT going to spend time seeking search warrants or subpoenas to seek out IP addresses and associated accounts and addresses for this sort of thing. The police just don't have the time and the resources. They MIGHT, but I would be surprised if they did. But, he should at least call the police and report the activity just in case something can be done.

He might consider contacting Craigslist and advising them of the situation. They might be able to filter out the poster or at least your buddy's phone number. But, it is has been my understanding that Craigslist is notoriously unresponsive to complaints.

Mass_Shyster

i live in california.

Your buddy needs to contact craigslist. They will ban the offender. Look around the craigslist site and you will see how to contact them for issues like this.

ledman5555

hmmm

the only way craigslist could handle the situation is BANNing the Actual phone number, Which is kinda hard to do also when the person is putting the phone in letters instead of numbers....

Also u can only bad a number rather than a user. The person posting the number doesnt have to be loged into his craigslist account.....

i wonder if craigslist would filter and make sure that THAT SPECIFIC number isnt posted regardless if its in letters or numbers???

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">