• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

business ins claim

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KtYoung

Hello. I am a small business owner in Illinois. I damaged a peice of equipment by backing into it with my dump truck and pinning it against a tree. I wasn't traveling fast, actually I didn't realize how close I was and my foot really did slip off the brake pedal. It slipped hard and I mashed the gas pedal, which as I said resulted in pinning my mower against a tree. I believe it is a total loss, which is about $8000. I have been with this insurance company for almost two years, they carry my two vehicles, business equipment, life, and I think my motorcycle as well. I have one other small claim from backing into a woman earlier this year, in January. I can't afford to just take the loss but I was just curious to know what I should expect. Does it seem likely they would deny my claim? If they can't deny the claim completely would they try to just offer me a smaller amount than its insured for because of my own stupidity/negligence?

Thanks for reading and please help!

I forgot to add, if it matters, it was dark out. I didn't know if the visibility would matter in the eyes of the insurance company.

Last edited:

KtYoung

The equipment is under my commercial policy, the truck I hit it with is under my commercial auto policy. I think they are all under the same company policy.

ecmst12

Unless the damaged equipment is a vehicle, it won't be covered on your auto policy. You can't file a liability claim against yourself, that would be like suing yourself. So the only way youtr insurance will cover that equipment would be if you had an insurance policy specifically covering that equipment against all perils, like collision coverage on your car.

KtYoung

Well I believe my equipment is fully covered, thats how I intended on the coverage being set up anyway. I'll have to check with my agent before I attempt to file a claim. I'm more concerned with the insurance company trying to deny me because I caused the damage myself.

moburkes

I'm not sure if it's covered or not, actually. Especially since they are insured under 2 different policies. OP - all you can do is ask your insurance company.

KtYoung

I spoke to my agent, she said I am covered for that. Its just a matter of whether it will go under collision or comprehensive coverage.

Thank you for your help.

moburkes

I spoke to my agent, she said I am covered for that. Its just a matter of whether it will go under collision or comprehensive coverage.

Thank you for your help.

Your agent is stupid. Did you damage your vehicle? comp and collision both pay for damage to your vehicle. Liability pays for damage you did to something...

KtYoung

No real damage done to my truck. She said that it would be covered one way or another, either my auto insurance would cover it or my coverage on my equipment would cover it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">