• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car Vandalized during a fight!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

teeladao

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Northern California

So my best friends car has a windshield that is shattered, driver side mirror is broken off, and there are dents all along the driver side and hood! It was caused by a fight that broke out during a party, which was at her house, anyways the guy was arrested who started everything... he was charged with assault and vandalism. but we are concerned with how to get her car fixed, she only has liability and the guy who broke it... well he has no money and neither do his parents... so what is the best thing to do first? the guy who was charged is 19. and has a criminal record..

justalayman

If the guy that did the damage doesn't have any money and your friend doesn't have insurance to cover the damage, I would suggest she get another job or beg or borrow from friends or if you want, you can take up a collection for a "fix my friends car" fund.

Other than that, she can sue the guy and at least get a judgment. She will have several years minimum to attempt to collect on the judgment/

ecmst12

She can talk to the DA prosecuting the criminal charges to have restitution added to his sentence. It may still take some time to get the money back but he should be more motivated to pay then if you only have a civil judgement.

teeladao

thanks!

The cops did do a report, took photos and stuff.. she just doesnt know if it would be better to settle outside of court, or how the damages would get paid for.. thanks for all the help and advice!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">