• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it too late for discovery?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

couch2004

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FLORIDA.

My husband has representation and I do not.
I'm 57; he's 48.
We were married for 28 years.
6 children, all grown now.
He has a stable job with an income of 84k.
I was a govt employee for 15 yrs with an ending salary of 45k.
I haven't worked for 7 yrs because he said I needed to "be the center of the family" and he made enough money to keep us.

I filed for divorce in Nov 2009. I was granted a protection order against domestic violence. I filed for temporary support and was awarded it in Nov 2010. There was one delay after another by his atty; everytime it came close to a hearing, she became unavailable. During that time, I responded to my husband's lawyer with all the discovery information that was requested. I didn't ask for discovery b/c I was focusing on trying to get a hearing for temporary support and I had copies of his paystubs. The Magistrate made recommendation and report; my husband objection; then the Judge heard us and supported the Magistrate's recommendations. As soon as my husband was ordered to pay $1000 biweekly he's finally in a rush to get this over with b/c his lawyer told him that amount would be lowered.

The Judge ordered mediation and we got a notice of mediation for Jan 5, 2011. After being unemployed for years, I finally landed a decent job that I start on Jan 3. A condition of employment is that I begin training on Jan 3, and I cannot be absent for anytime during the training and probationary period. I called my husband and he agreed to my requesting a 60 day postponement for mediation.

I called the mediation center and requested in writing an alternate date noting that my husband was agreeable. This morning, I got a copy of an email from his lawyer to the mediation center that my husband will not agree to a postponement. She then emailed me and said she would entertain postponement when I provided proof of the training. That ticked me off, but in the end, I sent it.

I did not send a Notice of Discovery at the beginning of the case, because I thought we would be able to settle since we have no property and no debt.

My husband's settlement offer is that he will pay me $2000 per month for two years only.

My offer to him is that he pay me $2000 a month until my income reaches 50% of his, which is $42K. I'm not sure that I can do that in two yrs. And, with the length of our marriage and his ability to pay, I think I qualify to be awarded permanent alimony. But still, if I could work up to an income of $42k, I could be self-sufficient.

I wrote all this just to ask the question, is it too late for me to request discovery such as financial records? Have I given up my rights to have discovery??

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">