• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Advice On Time Limit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

crystalpie

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

Husband is the executor of mother in law's will. She passed away in 2006. Two months after she passed away he had a heart attack and was laid up for a year. His sister (who is disabled) was living in the house at the time. Took us about 2 1/2 years to get her situated in her own apt. Special problems and dealing with her mother's death and moving. I cleaned the whole house from top to bottom by myself. This involved 3 dumpsters, yard work, sorting through things, everything you can imagine. There are 4 people in the will. Not one of them ever lifted a finger or ever offered to do anything. Called them to pick things up and they never came, we had to deliver them:eek: Still storing things at our house.

I wanted to put in a bill for my work but attorney said no. Said any judge would say it took to long to sell the house. The house was on the market for a year and a half. Took a loss on the house for well over $100,000.

My question is, was that really too long for one person, who wasn't even in the will to accomplish. Would a judge really rule that?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

crystalpie

Should have mentioned this was a 9 room house with a large barn and a 3 car garage. I am not looking for the money, just got very upset when attorney said it took too long. Should I get my own attorney?

nextwife

The estate could have simply hired a professional estate liquidation company as soon as you seperated out the family heirlooms, etc, had them sell the remainder of the estate stuff and been done emptying the house in a timely manner. Insisting on doing this all personally probably impacted the saleability of the house and it's holding time and cost to the estate. Additionally, having a scheduled date ("The estate sale is Tuesday four weeks from now . . . ) that everything will be gone from the home helps motivate family members to get off their duffs and arrange to get whatever would be theirs out of the house.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">