• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is Employer Liable for Car Damage?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dteager1

Regarding New Jersey (NJ) State Law: My car was legally parked at my place of employment while I was working. It was struck while parked by another vehicle that left the scene without notifying me or my employer. Is my employer responsible for payment of this repair cost, or at least my deductible? Please advise.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

justalayman

the driver of the other vehicle is who is liable almost all of the time. Is there some reason you believe the employer might be or should be liable for anything here?

Based on the facts you've presented, there does not appear to be any liability on the part of your employer. So to answer your questions....no.

dteager1

I didn't think the employer would be liable either, but I have a friend that swears to me that her car was damaged by a hit & run accident while it was parked in her employer's lot (while she was actively working) and with the police report created her employer was made to reimburse her for the deductible cost. Before I paid it myself, I just wanted to be triple sure there was truly no NJ State liability there on the part of my employer.

justalayman

there can be some situations where it might be possible but generally, no, the employer is not liable.

ask your insurance agent. They don't want to pay anymore than they have to so if there was a way around paying, they are going to know.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">