• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NY State 221.05 UPM. Need some advice!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ThomasCookie

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York State

Hey, everyone! So hopefully someone could help me figure out my situation...

So last night I was driving on my way back from school to NJ from VT. I was pulled off to the side of the road in NY, with hazards on, to fix my already busted out window. A trooper rolled up, shined his light and asked if everything was okay. I explained that the window had fallen off the track and that I just needed to mend it back up. He left, I got my window fixed back up and hopped back into my car. Just as I was about to pull away, another trooper pulls up behind me with his lights on. He comes up to the door, I open, and he asks to see my license and registration. Soon after, he states that he can smell marijuana emanating from the car. The officer promptly asked if there was anything in the car that he should know about. At first I told him no, but after he mentioned something about bringing the dogs out I figured it was best to fess up. I told him I had a cigarette container behind my center console with the marijuana (>1g, definitely.)

Long story short he ends up searching and seating me in the pack of his cruiser and asks me questions so he could make his file. I was given a court date with the 221.05 charge. He said "it's like the equivalent of a speeding ticket."

This is where I could use some advice: I have no criminal background and a clean drivers license. I'm a college student in my fourth year, and I have no money. What would be my best options be from here?

After doing some research online, I found that some cases can be dismissed with a ACD (adjournment in contemplation of dismissal), in which case I would be required to do some sort of community service hours and stay out of trouble. Would I be able to get this without a lawyer or attorney? If I were to show up and plead guilty, is this the typical sentence for first time offenders? :confused: All of this stuff is pretty foreign to me, so any help would be appreciated greatly!

I'd hate to see everything I've worked for over the past four years go to sh*t, and don't want this showing up on my criminal record or anything. I definitely learned a lesson with this one.

-TomWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">