• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have a case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

BMR123

New York.

I was sued for paternity by a woman I never met or had sex with. She didn't show on court day and withdrew the suit. Turns out we went to the same college and had one overlapping year of attendance. I am older and was a senior in her freshman year. Through a bizarre coincidence the man she apparently is looking for has the same phonetic sounding name as mine albeit spelled differently and has other attributes she described that are not me. He also attended the same college and is also a few years younger than me.

Hired an attorney, lost time from work for court appearance, spent time and money researching who this woman is which is why I now know she incorrectly accused me. I want to recover my expenses. Is Small Claims the place to take this? Should I hire an attorney and bring a civil suit? Do I just suck up my losses and get on with life? Woman is not on public assistance. Appreciate any help.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Well, you might want to "take a shot" at it. In Small Claims court, you have nothing to lose. Even if you lose the case, she cannot "sue you back".

She had a duty to make sure that you were the proper person she intended to sue. Her negligence caused you out-of-pocket expenses.

So, go for it.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">