• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Letterhead contents -- is this a law office?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TheDudeWillAbid

Washington DC.

A person sent us a letter stating that they represent a client in Washington DC. That person's letterhead included only their name, address and that they were a member of the Texas Bar.

Can one make a reasonable conclusions that this person's business includes the practice of law?

FlyingRon

You should keep all the drivel in the same thread.
Much as you don't like it, a lawyer, one who likely can get reciprocal privs in DC court, etc.. is involved in the action against you.

justalayman

Ah, I see.

Let me add then;

what you asked about does not mean he is acting in his capacity as a lawyer in the situation in the letter. You asked a very limited question:

Can one make a reasonable conclusions that this person's business includes the practice of law?
and the answer is; yes. I see no other conclusions you can make from that though.

and as Ron said, it is generally possible to get privileges to engage in the practice in a state they are not licensed in.

TheDudeWillAbid

Sorry for cross posting.

Yes, I'm aware that attorney's may be allowed exceptions to practice law. However I'm fairly certain that they do not qualify for any of them.

Thanks for the help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">