• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dispute with Lawyer/Bar Complaint

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gregory William

California

I terminated my relationship with my lawyer in May of last year. I was so disgusted with the lawyer I filed a bar complaint, in which there was not enough proof to charge her. Now the lawyer I fired over 7 months ago keeps trying to charge me for the amount of work he did while defending the bar claim, and is sending me bills. Here are my questions:
1. Can create a lawsuit against me since I filed a bar complaint and he was not charged? I.e. extortion, libel, etc, in light of the fact there were no lies just not enough proof.
2. How likely am I to win an arbitration case against the attorney, and how likely am I to win an appeal to the state bar on the complaint with no new evidence?
3. How can I make the lawyer not send me anymore bills and not send it to collections since I have an email from him saying I have a $0 balance but they keep sending me bills?

menchari

That would be correct. Make sure you send copies of the bills, statements, phone records, any messages you may still have on your answering machine etc.
It is the price of doing business in professions requireing a license.
Generaly a professional cannot do that unless something occurs that turns it into a libel/slander lawsuit.
However, the bar would not have done an exam based on false statements and/or evidence in the first place.
Actualy you could probably also file a complaint with your state attorney generals office for the bills as well.

clemenda

I agree. File another complaint with the Bar Association and send copies of the recent bills. Then smile when you drop it the mail box. That resolve everything.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">