• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Passed out in school from drinking.. please Help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bowdown2jz

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

Hi everyone. My name is Jonathan. I'm 17 and I'm a senior in high school.

Okay so i drank a lot of alcohol with four people. Three of which do not go to my school. One does though. For now I will call them Allison, Brenda, Charles, and Daniel. Daniel does go to my school.

Allison brought alcohol from home.

After we drank, apparently me and Daniel went back to school to watch a wrestling match. I was extremely drunk. I was bleeding after falling, which was no big deal. Then I passed out. A dean saw me pass out. They called my parents, who picked me up. They searched Daniel, and found alcohol on him. However, Daniel appeared perfectly sober.

I think i'm getting suspended. But our principal set up a conference with me and my parents after winter break in 2011. I REALLY don't want to get suspended, as it will hurt my chances at getting into the college of my choice, unless it doesn't go on my record.

What do i do? Should I write an early apology letter email to my principal now? Should I accept the blame and be as modest as possible and ask for a lighter punishment? Or should I find a way to shift the blame? Someone please help. :( I would take any punishment that does not involve my college finding out this happened, or getting expelled. By the way this is my first offense.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Yeah, it's important NOW...of course, the possibility of losing out on college didn't seem to bother you BEFORE you put the bottle/can/cup to your lips!

bowdown2jz

Yeah I really regret it now.

A lot of things will happen during the conference. Any tips or help on what I should do/say?

Isis1

Yeah I really regret it now.

A lot of things will happen during the conference. Any tips or help on what I should do/say?
Be apologetic. Be respectful. Don't speak unless asked to. Don't get defensive. Accept your punishment regardless of what it is. Be honest. If they ask for names and accomplices, give them. With your parents, don't ask for privileges. Wash dishes, don't complain. Wash/sweep/wax floors/vacuum. Don't talk back. Keep your room spotless. Stop hanging around your ABC friends. Clean up after dinner. Wipe counters. Walk the dog. Do all your homework. Turn in your cell phone. Stay off the computer unless it's for homework or college applications.

bowdown2jz

Thanks Isis... in terms of with the parents though I'll be fine. I just really hope my punishment doesn't get seen by colleges.

jschwa97

You should be grateful the police aren't involved in that is just the school. Then there would be a higher chance of the colleges knowing about the situation.

There is only one question on most college apps that says something along the lines of: Have you ever been suspended or been in trouble with the law?

From memory I think that it just a yes or no question without a chance to explain. The college may or may not contact you or your high school asking for more information. My guess is the better the college, the more likely they will try and follow up to find out what happened.

When meeting with the dean do your best to show them you are a good kid and that this event doesn't describe who you really are. Dress nice, show that you care, explain that this is a very rare occurrence for you.

All that being said, DON'T LIE. They will respect your honesty more than anything else.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">