• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is impersonating a legal representative for a client illegal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jake_Russel

Is it illegal for someone to send a legal document with an anonymous "legal representative" for a client considered fraud? My ex-spouse sent a "legal response" to my demand letter for paying back money. But the legal response started with "sent on behalf of ..." with my ex-spouse name but not the name of the supposed lawyer representing his client. The email sent also had "[email protected]". This is very suspicious and seems forged or got info from a legal site to look like a document from a lawyer. Is this considered fraud or impersonating a lawyer, and if so, can I address this in court?

Dave1952

Since the demand letter is not on a business's stationary why do you believe that it was sent by a lawyer? Why do you believe that the phrase "sent on the behalf of" indicates that the sender is a lawyer?
You certainly may consult with an attorney about this when you consult with him about the demand letter. It sounds as if your ex is taking you to court for being a deadbeat.

Good luck

Some Random Guy

It sounds as if your ex is taking you to court for being a deadbeat.
Actually, it sounds like the poster is threatening to take their ex to court for being a deadbeat, and the ex is trying to use an aura of legalese to avoid payment.

The letter seems vague and ameteurish enough that it isn't going to be considered practicing law without a license. I would just ignore it as a feeble attempt to get you to not pursue payment. Remember, do not take legal advice from your ex or their layer or legal representative. Make your own decisions. Continue with your plan for taking them to court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">