• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

At fault driver not responding to insurance claim

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

minicoop503

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Maryland

On Nov. 30th, I got in an accident with a woman which was clearly her fault. A police officer was dispatched and took statements from both of us and agreed that it was in fact her fault. The woman was trying to deny it was her fault and said she wasn't going to pay for it. Nevertheless, we exchanged insurance info.

There is only slight cosmetic damage, but the tie rod is bent on my car, so now it is out of alignment and eating through the tires. So, I filed a claim with her insurance company the same day, and they said they would contact their driver. Now it is Dec. 23 and she has yet to have replied to their phone calls and letters.

What are my options with this? I am going to contact a lawyer but I was wondering what power do I have to get my money? It seems dumb to me that all you need to do to get out of paying insurance is just not answer the phone... I was thinking of bringing her up in small claims court if it would be worth it.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

CraigFL

I think you need to contact your insurance company since whatever happens will be in their interest too. It's especially effective when you are trying to collect under your collision insurance.

justalayman

and you will not get the cost of the tire if it wasn't damaged in the accident. Your continued driving is what is causing the damage so that is on you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">