• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Minor son arrested, can parent go to jail

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

daytimer69

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

My son was arrested for minor possession of marijuana and ran a way last week. He has been out of control and when I found him we had a knock down drag out (I spanked him) he called the police on me and they asked ME if I wanted to have him arrested for assaulting me. I said yes and they carried him to Juvenile Hall. We go to court next week and when I went to the lawyers office I read over the report.

He indicated to the police that I was abusing my "prescription" medication (and I am NOT) and also said I had marijuana in my bed room (which is true) I live in Texas for 6 months out of the year and travel back and forth to New Mexico and I do have a prescription for the marijuana BUT it is illegal in Texas.

Anyway, when we go to court for HIM, do I need to worry about the judge asking me to take a drug test or anything my son mentioned to the police?

Isis1

Unless you are criminally charged in the marijuana matter, keep your mouth shut about the marijuana. Decline to answer. Speak to an attorney.

As far as your son goes, GOOD FOR YOU!!!

justalayman

I would strongly suggest you say nothing more to anybody about the MJ in your bedroom. You also need to remove the MJ from your house, car, property, and possession in general. Your sons word is likely going to be adequate for a search warrant if the courts decide to go that direction.

daytimer69

It has been removed and he was arrested 10 days ago. We go to court next week for him. When can I assume I have nothing to worry about and the courts decide NOT to go that direction? I am hoping the judge just kinda laughs its off. His attorney thought it was comical. Her statement was "kids will do and say anything to get the heat off of them" she never even asked us if it was true or not

Last edited:

daytimer69

Well, believe it or not, the judge said he was going to drug test me and he could go home if I passed the UT. My son was in tears. They took me in the bathroom and I pissed in the cup and then the judge called me in and asked me some specific questions and then said to my son to get dressed he is going home. What a relief. I can't believe they did what they did but he is so glad to be home. Thanks for the replies. Take care

Samiam69

WOW same thing happened to me

The same thing happened to me except I tested positive for marijuana. The judge is setting me up with a probation officer and allowed my daughter to go home after saying he would not if I tested positive.

I had a prescription for medical marijuana from another state but in my state it is illegal so I am on pain medication now and I explained this to the judge. I am trying to change my daughter probation officer for many reasons and when I spoke to her supervisor the other day he keeps throwing over my head "you tested positive for marijuana and you may not be a good parent for her" and I should leave well enough alone. He is being very difficult.

Can they press additional charges against me? Can they do anything to me? Do I have anything to worry about?

Antigone*

The same thing happened to me except I tested positive for marijuana. The judge is setting me up with a probation officer and allowed my daughter to go home after saying he would not if I tested positive.

I had a prescription for medical marijuana from another state but in my state it is illegal so I am on pain medication now and I explained this to the judge. I am trying to change my daughter probation officer for many reasons and when I spoke to her supervisor the other day he keeps throwing over my head "you tested positive for marijuana and you may not be a good parent for her" and I should leave well enough alone. He is being very difficult.

Can they press additional charges against me? Can they do anything to me? Do I have anything to worry about?
Please don't hijack another person's thread. Start your own.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

You're not too good at following rules, are you?
Start your own thread.

Understand that a "prescription" doesn't mean squat if the item in question is ILLEGAL.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">