• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Confused

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

colorbright

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

I'm not sure if I did anything wrong honestly. I was driving west on a main road at 5:15 pm yesterday (it was dark outside) and all of a sudden, I saw a bicyclist on the right side (this was on 12/22 - a couple days ago). So, I swerved, went around him, and then kept driving on the right side of the road. I did notice that he was still riding, so I just kept driving. Then, I went to the left lane, and noticed a car behind me was flashing their lights on and off (probably at me). We stopped at a red light, and while the car had room to move up, he/she parked to the side of me and it looked like perhaps they were writing my license plate number down (just a guess....I couldn't really see anything in their car since it was dark. But then, I got to wondering why they were even flashing their lights at me. So, I turned left and then backtracked onto the road where the bicyclist was. But, I didn't see him anywhere (or in the side streets). So, I don't think I hit him or anything, but I don't know why the car behind me was flashing me either. Should I be worried about anything?

I did call my local police station to mention the incident. The lady on the phone did not seem too concerned, but she said if I wanted to talk to a cop, I could. so, I went to the station and mentioned the incident. The cop said that there was no call in from the town or the next town regarding a bicyclist being down, so I should be fine. So, I did not file a police report. Was that okay? Or should I have done one anyways just in case? I've never been in this situation before, and I don't know what to do. I was advised by someone that I should speak to a lawyer and that I have the right to remain silent. So, I have noted that error on my part.

My guess is I am okay since I did not see any police cars, and more importantly, I did not see the bicyclist going down or anything. I just have no idea why the car behind me was flashing their lights (turning them on and off in the dark).

Also, if any police report was filed against me (although I have no idea what it would have been), how soon would I find out? Or, could I go to the station to find out?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Isis1

Is it possible your back lights might have been off? Broken?

If another driver saw you swerve, it is possible they called in a drunk driver. But if that was the case, you would have been contacted immediately.

Sit back, relax.

If you get contacted by the police department, don't admit to anything until you've spoken to a lawyer.

colorbright

Thanks - I did actually stop for a bit to see if my lights were off, but everything was working and nothing looked abnormal as it related to my car. After I checked, I did drive on the street a couple times to see if there was anything, but no one was there.

I dunno - I'm think it should be ok? I didn't see any cars slow down behind me either (though they were a bit far off). So, that was another clue to me that there was nothing that happened to the biker as far as I could tell.

Whew - maybe I do need to relax. I just can't seem to shake off the flashing headlights.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">