• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Life Insurance Beneficiary

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tejailey

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan
I was the recipient of a life insurance policy. The life insurance company said I was free to do what I want with the check. The deceased placed in the will that I was "beneficiary of life insurance policy to be used for funeral expenses". Prior to probate, I was given a paper to sign over the policy, not drafted by the insurance company, which said I was giving this over on my "free will". I didn't sign it. The remainder of the money for funeral expenses is to be taken out of the estate, and I'm an heir anyway. If I'm the beneficiary, don't I have a right to determine how it's spent?

Perky

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan
I was the recipient of a life insurance policy. The life insurance company said I was free to do what I want with the check. The deceased placed in the will that I was "beneficiary of life insurance policy to be used for funeral expenses". Prior to probate, I was given a paper to sign over the policy, not drafted by the insurance company, which said I was giving this over on my "free will". I didn't sign it. The remainder of the money for funeral expenses is to be taken out of the estate, and I'm an heir anyway. If I'm the beneficiary, don't I have a right to determine how it's spent?
Let me get this straight..... The deceased made you beneficiary of a life insurance policy to be used for funeral expenses. You don't want to use it for the funeral expenses. You want to use other money from the estate to pay for the funeral. Right?

Are there other heirs to the estate? If so, are you then suggesting that the other heirs should pay for the funeral out of their shares of the estate, and you should receive your share plus the life insurance?

Betty

It's too late now but the deceased should have for example made the estate or funeral home the bene since the proceeds were to be used for burial/funeral expenses. That would have been best.

This must be a rather small policy since it seems you are saying the remainder (balance) of the funeral expenses are to be paid from the estate assets.

Don't you think it's the right thing to do (pay the funeral expenses from policy proceeds) since that is what will seems to say the money was intended for?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">