• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Urgent legal ethics question(s)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cturley969

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama
I went to court in the Northern Dist of Alabama accused of 4 counts of health care fraud.

Question #1: I was indicted by grand jury in B'ham without notification. (I found out in the newspaper.) I was arraigned in B'ham and assigned an atty. There is a federal courthouse in my hometown. The one in B'ham is one hour drive away. BUT, I was then told that my case was being transferred to a judge in Huntsville, which is a two hour drive, and is also where my court appt atty is from. I thought that the court should be more convenient for the defendent than a choice by the atty and the US atty in charge. My atty told me that the judge in my case had been hand selected by the US atty because he would "throw the book" at me. Is this right?

Question #2: The lead US atty issued several statements regarding me to the press prior to court stating that I "was the reason why everyone's health care costs were so high." Was this not prejudicial to my right to a fair trial?

Question #3: My atty told me that I should agree to a plea bargain, and that If I did, he would guarantee me probation. I agreed under his pressure. Frankly, I did not want to. When the plea bargain came to his office, he called me. My sister had to drive me to his office and it took 2 & 1/2 hours at rush hour. He said that he had to leave to go to court, and that I should sign the agreement because it was everything he had promised. So, I signed. I got home and read the agreement. He LIED to me, big time. I would probably have gotten an easier sentence without the plea. I realized I had agreed to an 18 month sentence, that my atty had given me "exemplary representation," and no right at all to appeal my sentence. Literally, I had signed away every legal right I possessed. When we went to court, he did not even speak to me; he spent his time talking to the prosecutors and was clearly on very tight terms with them.

Question #4: When I went for sentencing, the judge refused to listen to any evidence of possible downward departures I might receive. (I am bipolar and in poor physical health--16 diff RX meds, am the sole support of my family, and have no criminal history.) Instead, he delivered a pre-written speech in court about how he was going to "make an example of me to show other people who might think of violating health care law what would happen to them," and "in this time of high insurance copays and the debate in Congress."
Is it ok for a judge to publicly state that he is making an example of a defendant?

Frankly, I am feeling very much railroaded and persecuted. I discovered that other defendants accused of higher dollar health care crimes than what I was accused of have received either probation or much shorter sentences than I have been in courts in Birmingham.

Please help me. Do I have any recourse in this case? The judge even wanted to remand me to a medium security prison that day in court, but he changed his mind because my family objected. Now, I have to call a probation officer every day, without fail, before 11 am. Any failure on my part is immediate revocation and remand. I have been told to report to the US Marshall's office in B'ham on January 27. I will not be told until then what type or location I will be sent to.

latigo

Interestingly I don’t sense an iota of remorse on your part. The only hint of contrition you seem to manifest is that others have committed the same crime and stolen more.

Consequently it’s your family’s emotional suffering that I feel for. Not you who consciously brought the shame and humiliation upon them!

Also, I dare say that your defense counsel did not promise you any leniency in the sentencing phase. And even if he had, it would have been clearly countermanded by the judge who before he accepted your plea and imposed the sentence would have made you explicitly aware that he was not bound by any such promises or agreements.

But if you feel that you have been prejudiced in this respect, then file a motion to withdraw the guilty plea.

Regarding your objections to the judge’s statements, please bear in mind that a federal district judge holds the most powerful position in our system of government and without censure they can pretty much do and say what they please!

garrula lingua

Latigo, I am impressed by your professional demeanor, your excellent interpretation of the facts, and your reasoned response (and you are so consistent in that respect in your postings).
You should go to law school. You are an excellent counselor.

OP: Personally, at the point where you stated the trial should be set where it was most convenient to you, I believed you were a troll.
I don't believe you're real.
OP's posting smacks of the subtle satire of ?Tranq? ... who did author this joke ?
I was ROTFL.
Bwahahah HaHa ... love the 'medium' security prison and the Judge changing his mind because 'the family objected' .... haahaa 16 diff meds and he was charged with 4 felony counts of health care fraud ... now he's trying to use bipolar & his meds to reduce the sentence... he's 'persecuted' because other theives received a lesser sentence .. hahahaha
There's lovely irony in this post.
It has to be a subtle joke.

FlyingRon

Question #1: I was indicted by grand jury in B'ham without notification. (I found out in the newspaper.) I was arraigned in B'ham and assigned an atty. There is a federal courthouse in my hometown. The one in B'ham is one hour drive away. BUT, I was then told that my case was being transferred to a judge in Huntsville, which is a two hour drive, and is also where my court appt atty is from. I thought that the court should be more convenient for the defendent than a choice by the atty and the US atty in charge. My atty told me that the judge in my case had been hand selected by the US atty because he would "throw the book" at me. Is this right?
Venue is not for your convenience. While the prosecutor might have tried a little judge shopping, the choice of court is probably just set by the court itself. These both serve the Northern District.
Question #2: The lead US atty issued several statements regarding me to the press prior to court stating that I "was the reason why everyone's health care costs were so high." Was this not prejudicial to my right to a fair trial?
Hardly. Even if he said it in court, it probably isn't inappropriate.
Question #4: When I went for sentencing, the judge refused to listen to any evidence of possible downward departures I might receive. (I am bipolar and in poor physical health--16 diff RX meds, am the sole support of my family, and have no criminal history.) Instead, he delivered a pre-written speech in court about how he was going to "make an example of me to show other people who might think of violating health care law what would happen to them," and "in this time of high insurance copays and the debate in Congress."
Is it ok for a judge to publicly state that he is making an example of a defendant?
What makes you think that any of that stuff makes any difference in sentencing considerations. The judge is free to make an example of you and to state so. The goal of sentencing is not only to punish you but to discourage others from considering the same crime.

Frankly, I am feeling very much railroaded and persecuted. I discovered that other defendants accused of higher dollar health care crimes than what I was accused of have received either probation or much shorter sentences than I have been in courts in Birmingham.
I see nothing here that is the basis for any appeal.
Please help me. Do I have any recourse in this case? The judge even wanted to remand me to a medium security prison that day in court, but he changed his mind because my family objected. Now, I have to call a probation officer every day, without fail, before 11 am. Any failure on my part is immediate revocation and remand. I have been told to report to the US Marshall's office in B'ham on January 27. I will not be told until then what type or location I will be sent to.
Ahh, the felon has to call his probation officer while he is released pending prison. Life's so rough.

Get used to it, times are going to get harder.

FlyingRon

Bwahahah HaHa ... love the 'medium' security prison and the Judge changing his mind because 'the family objected' .... haahaa 16 diff meds and he was charged with 4 felony counts of health care fraud ... now he's trying to use bipolar & his meds to reduce the sentence... he's 'persecuted' because other theives received a lesser sentence .. hahahaha
She, Charlotte is her name. It was all a sweet deal pocketing over a quarter of a million dollars until she got caught.

Antigone*

Latigo, I am impressed by your professional demeanor, your excellent interpretation of the facts, and your reasoned response (and you are so consistent in that respect in your postings).
You should go to law school. You are an excellent counselor.

OP: Personally, at the point where you stated the trial should be set where it was most convenient to you, I believed you were a troll.
I don't believe you're real.
OP's posting smacks of the subtle satire of ?Tranq? ... who did author this joke ?
I was ROTFL.

GL ~ honey, I just love ya.

I feel no pity for this OP. Too bad the judge couldn't throw the book at her twice!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">