• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Class Action settlement dispute

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MKVII

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?: New York

I received a settlement check from a class action suit (about 2,100 claimants) a few months back, but something didn't seem right with the amount. I didn't sign or deposit the check since it stipulated that signing it was a final acceptance of the amount.

I called the Attorney's office and got a number of runarounds until finally getting the information of the exact number of people receiving money from the suit and how it was calculated per claimant. I was also told that attorney fees were not taken from this amount. After getting that info and then doing the math, I was convinced that the amount I received was way off (by roughly 10 times the amount), and there is a great possibility that many others found the same fate as well.

Due to a number of personal/life and death family events I simply couldn't pursue this as strongly as I would've liked over the last few months. Unfortunately, I now only have until the 2nd week of January to cash the check or face expiry. I'm told that a Lawyer from the firm is supposed to contact me after the holidays, but I've gotten a similar run-around with them before and I of course no longer trust them to make good on anything.

What should I do in this situation? If it's not resolved by expiry and I do not cash the check, is a suit against the law firm in order? If so, how should I proceed?

Your help will be greatly appreciated.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

justalayman

exact number of people receiving money from the suit and how it was calculated per claimant.
did they tell you that all plaintiffs received an equal amount? Did the total award you were told include the award to the lead plaintiff(s)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">