• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Minor accident, citation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Shelnspa

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kansas

I was involved in a minor accident in Johnson county where I rear ended a car and scratched the paint off of his and damaged the side of my bumper. I tried avoiding the accident by stomping on my breaks and trying to swerve to the concrete island to avoid the accident. The hit driver admitted to hitting his breaks based on the car in front of him coming over. Based on the pics that the officer took, you can see evidence of this by the positioning of the damage. The hit driver called the police, who eventually came to write a citation for inattentive driving. No fee was assigned, but I do have to appear in court. First of all, he claimed that a citation is not a ticket(?) and that the judge will probably drop the case when he sees that I have never had an accident. Could I hold this against the officer if I plead not guilty?

What I really need advice on how I plead. I am only 19 and I do not want this on my record, but I am willing to pay a fee. I cannot find anything on the internet concerning how to make a plea bargain. If I cannot get this, would I have a good case to plead not guilty to my inattentive ticket? I can already prove that the weather conditions on the report are wrong. Also the officer has yet to submit the ticket to the city, it has been two weeks.

Thanks!

ecmst12

You go to court and ask for a deal. Since you are guilty, you can pretty much only hope for the best.

Dave1952

The real problem that you face is that you did hit the other car. There must have been a reason for that. Following too close or inattention both come to mind. Not sure why the cop decided on inattention. Did you tell him you were fiddling with the radio, yakking on the phone, et c.?
The cop told you that it is likely that the judge will drop the case. I think he's telling you that if you hire a lawyer you will not be found guilty and if you do not you still might be found not guilty. Find out how much a lawyer will charge to deal with this and decide whether you want to use a lawyer.

Good luck

tammy8

Call your insurance company and report claim. Once they pay the damages to the other vehicle, they may be able to give you a letter stating you were responsible for accident but all damages have been paid in full. Most judges will likely drop the ticket.

However your insurance could very well go up. Insurance points and driving points are most likely 2 different t hings.

Shelnspa

I didn't say anything concerning myself to be distracted. He said that inattentive was less severe than following too closely in terms of court. Both the driver and myself had the same insurance at that time, however my family switched in a week ago, but it was the same at the time of the wreck.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I didn't say anything concerning myself to be distracted. He said that inattentive was less severe than following too closely in terms of court. Both the driver and myself had the same insurance at that time, however my family switched in a week ago, but it was the same at the time of the wreck.
You were guilty of the charge as cited...I hope you understand that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">